Shepherd P-2 scope

Andygold

Anyone have any experience with either this scope, or any of the other Shepherd scopes? I'm thinking about placing it on a Bushmaster w/16" barrel. Is this too much scope for this rifle? I'm also curious if those of you who have used it would consider it applicable as a battle sight, as opposed to its use only as a sniper scope. My other choices are the Trijicon ACOG(much more expensive), and the Trijicon Reflex(cheaper than the Shepherd). I have not used any of the 3. My initial guesses are that the Reflex Sight would give the quickest target aquisition, and the Shepherd the most accurate shot. Any info/thoughts/opinions are welcome. :D
Thanx,
Andy

I know but one man who has one, and took an elk at 450+ yards, if memory serves. When I expressed my disbelief and shock, he grinned and said, "Yeah but I cheated; I use a Shephard scope." He seems to think highly of it.

The Shepherd scope has an unusual patented reticule system that uses a reticule on each of the two focal planes one is on the front plane is a cross hair and the one on the 2nd focal plane os a series of circles that you range with. Those who range with it love it but it is a little cluttered for my taste. The scope is made by Light Optical Works and I have watched it being made and it is a well made scope. You will be happy with it.It has a great feature in that it can be zeroed with one shot.
GaleMcMillan

My buddy has a Springfield M1A in .308 with a sheppard scope. I think he paid around $800 for the scope! I haven't got to shoot with it yet, but it sure looks nice. I think they have a web site somewhere.

Blackie

I "tested" a Shephard a few years back. I did not like it at all. While the concept is good (ranging) it leaves MUCH to be desired. I'll try and recap why...

1 - One Shot Zero. ANY Scope can be one shot zeroed if you know what your doing.

2 - Two Reticules on Two different focal planes. This causes you to have to line up the two reticles then line those with your target. Kind of defeats the purpose of a scope... aiming point and target on the same plane. Groups with iron sights @ 100 yds were only slightly larger then groups with the scope.

3 - Circles (range finding). Way too cluttered scope picture for one thing. The other is that the circles are set for 100 yd intervals. What if your target doesn't fit into any circle? You know what... your guessing at the range. Not that much of a problem at shorter ranges but at longer ones this could mean a miss, or worst, a wound and lost.

All testing was done using my Colt AR Flattop. For the price of the Shephard there are better scopes out there (Leupold or Springfield w/MilDot) if you want a scope for "precision" work.

Guess it all depends on what you want to use your AR for. That is one of the reasons I got a Flat Top. Normally the iron sights reside on the gun. A Scope is put on when I want to reach out with precision. I'm currently evaluating Night Vision Scopes to take care of nocturnal varmints and will probably buy a Trijicon ACOG sooner or latter for "urban" use.

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Come on David you know that when you can shoot 1.5 MOA with iron and you are using a rifle with an accuracy capability of 1.5 you are not going to get better than 1.5 with any scope you put on it. I give you the not liking the reticule I don't either but to criticize its accuracy when testing on that kind of rifle is a little unfair. You can put it on a ¼ minute gun and shoot 1/ 4 moa with it.

Gale,

Oh... guess I should have expounded some. Groups fired with the Shephard/Iron were fired with both Match ammo and P-Dog Hand load ammo (= to Match Ammo accuracy).

I've just got done doing a work-up on the same AR. Scope used this time was a Simmons 4x12 AO. Ammo used this time was over the counter cheapest available at Wal-Mart. With the Simmons scope & trash ammo groups averaged 1MOA. My AR has had some work done to to BTW.

No... the problem with the Shephard was not the rifle or the ammo that caused the groups to "enlarge" but the two focal plane reticles coupled with 100 yard cross hairs subtending approx 1.25 inches.

Granted, I'm comparing groups that have been fired a few years apart. Maybe my rifle got more accurate over that time... but I don't think so. Also, I'm comparing Match ammo (with the Shephard) and trash ammo (with the Simmons).

It would be interesting to compare them side by side but I believe the results would be the same or worst (towards Shephard that is).

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)

David, the best thing about this forum is you can have any opinion and I respect yours and will not try to sell you on mine so after this last point I will not post again on this thread. A few years ago before I discontinued my tactical line of scopes to bring out my day and night scope I was involved in a invitational sniper match. It was unknown distances no range finders allowed. The Marines used the Unertal mill dot, the Army used the Mark 3 Leupold, The Navy used the Mark4 Leupold, SF used my mill dot scope and the National guard used the Shepherd. The guard cleaned ever target beyond 600 yards and out scored everyone At the time the Navy and SF were shooting my rifles and needless to say I wasn't happy to see the Guard win.

Gale;

I agree about respecting opinions. Mine is just what I experienced so far. Until I get a chance to reexamine a Shephard again I've got to stick with what I know.

It would be interesting to compare one against my Mark 4 M1 on my "precision" rifle. The only problem I have with doing that is the rifle/Mark 4 combo has shot/is shooting so well I'd be hesitant to start screwing with it by unmounting/mounting scopes. ;)

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)

Thanx to all who posted,

Gale, You said that during this sniper match, that rangefinders were not allowed. Doesn't the Shepherd have one built in (don't the circles allow you to get an accurate range)?
Were they disallowing electronic rangefinders only?

To any and all:.....
I just saw a Trijicon ACOG 3.5x35 with fiber optic/tritium sights which uses the BAC (Bindon Aiming Concept). Pretty neat scope which allows 2 eyed sighting,good for close up work and yet transitions to magnified viewing for far off targets. I did find that the range finder/bullet drop compensater was extremely small, but I guess/hope you would have some extra time to squint when using it at longer distances. Any opinions as to this ACOG?
Thanx again
Andy

I have been using the ACOG 3.5 x 35 for about 2-3 years now, and really love it.

The clearity is excellent, in sniper courses that I have attended, when it comes to low light shooting, I can keep shooting when the other scopes drop by the wayside.

It is not made to be a sniper scope, but I have now taken it through 2 sniper courses, and did just fine. It sits atop an Olympic Arms 6mmx45mm custom rifle they made to my specs. For people not familar with this caliber, it is a .223 case necked up to take 6mm/.243 bullets, I have found the Sierra 85 gr JHPBT the most accurate bullet. I took a spike blacktail deer last hunting season with this rifle/scope combo, a neck shot at 72 yards, from a raised platform.

The exit wound was indeed impressive, I used it for hunting because I also was using it as my daily patrol rifle, and wanted to see first hand what the bullet would do. In my opinion, any torso wound on a human would be unsurvivable unless a trauma surgeon was on scene.

Anyway, I really like the scope.

Marty Hayes

Back