sharter arms off duty

clarence

Greetings to all! Was surprised to see a charter arms off duty model snubbie at my favorite gun dealer here in Manila yesterday. I am interested in buying it, it is blue finished, seems to be new or in mint condition(the salesman claims it is NIB). Would appreciate information on its price today in the market(USA). HOpe to hear from you guys soon!! Thank you all in advance...All the best from the Philippines!!!!

What caliber is it? The general feeling on Charter Arms around here is that you either get a good one or a bad one. There isn't much inbetween. It's been a while since I priced one, but I don't think they should be going for much more than $200US.

I have been interested in these recently too. I have not seen an older model to handle, but this weekend at a gunshow I did look over the newer undercover. I hope the older ones are more nicely finished, this one was rough. For example the ejector was not smooth in its stroke and there were alot of sharp edges.

Greeting's All,

.38 Special Charter Arm's "Off Duty" model's
NIB price should not exceed $150.00 U.S. dollars;
according to today's standards.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

Short form on Charters: the design is great; the oldest ones were very good, but late in the life of the original "Charter Arms" company quality control sank. "Charco" bought them out and brought the designs back, but quality ranged from "barely decent" to "horrifyingly bad" :(.

If it says "Charter Arms" and it's got an exposed ejector rod, AND you know how to check out a revolver in some detail, buy it if the price is any good.

There's a bit more info here:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=82633

How to check out a revolver:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57816

Eventually, somebody who's read that thread and understands it will go to a gun show/dealer/whatever and scope out some Charter 2000 revolvers in detail. Until that time, I guess we'll continue to get sketchy and useless "data" such as what we've seen in this thread.

Jim, you seem more than qualified and up to the challenge, I am sure those of us interested in these would garner much from your inspection of the 2000 series, especially since you have an older model for a more direct comparison. The first gut reaction when you pick one up is "sharp edges"- trigger, rear sights, and "cheesy" feel to the ejector. I am optimistic about the older type however and, if priced right, will pick one up if it comes along.

First problem, I haven't been able to make many gun shows lately. The Undercover only recently made the DOJ approved list and the .44Spl hasn't yet, so I can't check one of those out.

I intend to do this as soon as possible.

Thank you guys for all your info and advise.....I appreciate your taking time out to reply to my post......All the best and mabuhay from manila!!!! By the way I was looking at a charter arms NIB 38 special model.

Back