Sharps Model 1863 Carbine

Randy1944

I am looking for help with my original Carbine. The old mainspring is broken and I have secured a replacement. Does someone out there have good pictures of the inside of the side lock? I really could use a little help. I want everything to go back together correctly and as it would have been originally. Thanks

The Sharps lockplate is simple and pretty much the same as most of the back action percussion lockplates of the period. The mainspring is dual action, powering both the tumbler and the sear, again a pretty common arrangement.

The Lawrence primer mechanism won't interfere with replacing the mainspring.

The only tool needed for replacing the spring would be a good spring vise or a machinist's clamp; I recommend a spring vise. Pad the jaws with tape if you want to be sure not to scratch the new spring. If you want to disassemble the lock, you should get a good gunsmith's screwdriver of the proper size. If the lock is rusty or the screws are frozen, it might be better to oil the lockwork and leave it alone rather than taking a chance of really messing things up.

Jim

Sharps

Thanks Jim for the encouragement. I ordered a "spring vise" from Dixie so I will have that hard part covered. I meant to say that everything is loose and seems to be complete. Thanks

Sharps 1863

I am now of the opinion that someone has worked on the tumbler. The hammer would only cock all the way back before I took it apart. Now, the tumbler looks like someone has filed part of it off. I can't find a clear picture of a tumbler - could someone post one so that I will know what it should look like? I sure would appreciate the help.

Sharps

Yes, this helps some. I had not seen the information before. Sadly, it does not show a close up of the tumbler. Still looking for one for comparison. I can't even find one in the Dixie catalog. S&S has one, but it is $80.00 and I sure would hate to go that route. Thanks

Sharps

Hey, Now the first attachment looks like mine. The one is for a Slant Breech and is for some reason quite different. Many thanks, this helps.

Sharps

Thanks for the information. It seems that Lodgewood and S&S is out of the Tumbler at this time. Just my luck. I guess that I will just have to wait. Please let me know if you know of other sources. Dixie does not have it either.
Thanks Randy

Back