Sharp edge on chamber

I have a Mauser with has had a new Midway barrel for a few weeks . The breech end of the chamber ended up with a bit of a knife or sharp edge on it . It seems to shave a bit of brass at times while chambering rounds, also occasionally the mouth of the case hangs up .Would it be advisable to relieve or chamfer this sharp edge a bit ? What sort of tool would work best ?

SD, the best way to do it is in a lathe. It's the last step in chambering a bbl. You simple wrap some 320grit emery around a wood dowel and hold it against the edge at an angle. You're just trying to break the sharp corner. The same dowel and emery might work (never tried this) in a hand drill coming from underneath the action through the mag box opening. You could probably break a third of the opening that way. I really don't know how you might get the rest of it. If you installed the barrel then you could take it off and use that method all the way around. If it was installed by a smith, I'd take it back and tell him he forgot something. George

I have fixed a couple of these without removing the barrel with a brass bolt that i rounded the head of.Just find a bolt with a head to large to fit in the chamber chuck it in you drill and round the head with a file,if it is to short brasse a extension to it. Dip it in valve grinding compound and spin it in your drill against the chamber.It wont take much so dont over do it.

Wildcat that's a pretty good idea. I would probably use a 600grit lapping compound instead of valve grinding compound for fear of doing too much too fast. And I'd keep the speed under 750rpm if possible. George

Thanks I will take that as a compliment.It seems that my friends belive me when I tell them how easy it is to put together a rifle then they bring me their problems.This was just the latest of many.You would think I would learn to keep my mouth shut.I guess it is only fair when I think about how many times the old retired smith in town bailed me out.If it was not for guys like him and you willing to share a little information all of us wana be guys would be in trouble.

Back