SG for HD: One more reason?

VictorLouis

I was at my outdoor range yesterday patterning some loads. I wanted to see what the S&B slugs did at 25yds, so I began to bench off a few groups. I returned from marking the target, and I touched off the next one w/o any hearing protection.:(

The firing points are all covered with a sheet metal roof, along with both ends of the line. Combined with a concrete floor, there's more sound reflection than just out-in-the-open. Having been similarly absent-minded with pistols a few times, I have a point of comparison. The SG, at least with that load, was a LOT easier on the unprotected ear than my service caliber HGs. WITH my muffs on, I percieved that shot and buck loads had less noise than that same slug fired in succession.

Not only was the ringing nowhere near as uncomfortable, but it subsided much quicker. I know(hope:)) that we will benefit from auditory exclusion in an actual encounter; but, it has been stated that some damage still occurs. I'd like to think that as the SG maximizes your threat to the BG, it also minimizes the threat to your ears.

I was looking around for a table showing the sound levels of various weapons, but cannot find it, so here's my $.02.

Anyone that shoots should use hearing protection whenever possible. I didn't, and as a result now hear crickets and whistles that do not exist outside my head. Tintinis(sp?) is a stone B!T**.

As for use of a shotgun in an AS Scenario, the table I was looking for indicated that while shooting ANY firearm inside w/o protection results in immediate hearing damage, one has a better chance of retaining some shred of hearing using a shotgun than a magnum handgun, a centerfire rifle,etc.

Sorry to hear about your condition, Dave.

But, based on what you posted, I guess there is some truth in my observation. What about hunters? Do they wear protection in the woods?

I don't wear hearing protection while hunting. For the safety of others hunters shouldn't wear hearing protection while in the field.

Shooting inside a building is much louder.

Shok

hmmm..

"The best is the enemy of the good..." Famous French philosopher guy...

Clearing house of intruders with shotgun with some corollary ear damage is acceptable to me...doing so with NO ear damage would be the best, but I won't base my preparedness on it...

I suffer from chronic, albeit low-level, tinnitus...by now it's like background white noise, and I don't have to buy tapes to go to sleep, he he...

I also have tinnitus, but induced from years as a concert sound engineer rather than shooting. When I first developed the ringing, I didn't know how I would survive it. But after time, it just becomes part of life.

I now wear Etymotics Research custom earplugs with a 25dB filter the entire time I'm at the range, shooting or not. I don muffs on top of those at the line. The Etymotics plugs are molded to my ear canals and have a much more even frequency response than muffs or cheap foam or rubber plugs. This makes speech and the like a hell of a lot easier to understand and the plugs are so comfortable I forget they're in there. They are also a breeze to take in and out, no rolling or calisthenics to get the things in there, they just pop in and pop out.

The best $200 I ever spent, and I think they're cheaper now. I have a second set of 15dB filters for them that I wear if I attend concerts as a spectator. If I'm working, I'll put them in from time to time to give my ears a rest during the gig.

If you shoot alot, get these things. Trust me. I mean it.

- gabe

PS: Looking up info, it looks like 'Westone' (a hearing aid manufacturer) has absorbed Etymotics Research. Go to http://www.earmold.com/ , then follow the link for 'hearing protection'. The #49's are the ones I have, the other models are new to me.

Back