Set trigger for a rem 788?

red caddy

I'm just finishing a custom build of a 22-250 on a rem 788, heavy, long barrel varminter.

I've been beating the bushes for a set trigger. Single or double would work, I prefer the single. I've pinged all the usual suspects, (canjar, timney devon, rifle basics, etc.) Can't seem to find one just now.

The same trigger fits a number of 5 series Remington's (514 540 etc.)

Anybody out there have a line on one?

Thanks, paul

There won't be a set trigger for a 788. Despite what the marketing says. No Canjar triggers at all. They're out of business.
A Timney is adjustable between 1.5 and 3 pounds. That's plenty light enough for a hunting rifle.

If I had the appropriate magic wand. I would replicate any of several Canjar's I've owned and enjoyed over the years. There was a memorable single set on a high wall action that was 3.6 Lbs unset and well under 6 OZ. set. No creep, no drag, no perceptible travel, just pure lightening in a bottle. I traded that one away, years ago. Much to my chagrin today.

I guess this post was a thinly veiled run at the used market. Perhaps the lawyers have scared some people out of ownership. I've even contemplated modifying some existing model to fit the old 788, Has anybody else attempted this?

If somebody out there has one in possession, I'll do my very best to buy, trade, or plain old hornswoggle you out of it. I'll be taking this one out beyond 700 Yds, regularly so, Trigger does matter.

Help me if you can. Thanks, Paul

Since the 788 wasn't really in "that" market, I doubt anyone EVER made a set trigger for that model. I shot a 788 quite a bit back in the late 70's and the trigger was atrocious. I was looking for a trigger upgrade and found I could trade the 788 for a 700 with a much better trigger(and adjustable) for only $24-30 more than a new trigger so I just traded rifles. If you really want to stick with the 788, the Timney is about the end of the road triggerwise.

Thanks old roper, I know they did, I had some. This is not my first 788, years ago, it was my "go to" action because it was cheap, plentiful, very true, strong and well fitted from the production line. I couldn't afford the price of a new 40X, but I could buy a shooting 788 for 75-85 dollars, used. Nice guns, but lord, the trigger sucked.

Lately, I've been using Savage short actions, for many of the same reasons. I can tune the rifle basix trigger good enough for most needs, but I still prefer a set trigger for tight work.

Just an old fart waxing nostalgic, I guess.

Thanks, Paul

red,,,good luck on your quest,,,,i know untill you have used a good set trigger that most people dont get it,,,,there is nothing like them,,,i have used them for years,,,really bad thing is,,,after you use one for a long time even a good 2.5-3 lb. trigger seems bad,,,,like when is this thing gona break,,,,lol...good luck

ocharry

Timney

I've got them on my 223 and 308 and just love them. Have the 223 set to 2# and the 308 to 3# and they're dandy. Groups on both were cut in half.

Back