Set screws

Randy1944

I need help finding two set screws. I need them for a civil War era rifle and I want them to be period correct. I need size 8- 32 and size 8-36. Length of each an vary around 1/8 “. These are needed to fill a hole and is visible. I’ m sure they should have the slot across the top to be correct. I tried locally, but they only have modern ones. The same with McMaster-Carr. I’m hoping someone here might have them. Thanks
Randy

If you can't find them, make them. Get the right thread pitch screw, cut it off, dome the hear, and slot it with a slotting file.

Aye.
If you can't find the "right" one, buy a longer 'modern' version (or actual headed screw with enough threaded length). Then cut it, slot it, and touch up the finish to match what you've got.

What they said.
Kinda hard to imagine that Ace Hardware, or Fastenal don't have them.
We have a "surplus" store that carries a huge selection of hard to find bolts and such.

"Plug screws" used to fill the holes where a scope base or sight would mount
are the right length and are slotted. Available in straight and "stop" style--
the stop style has a bit of a head so it won't screw in past flush.

Problem is that they come in 8-40, not 32 or 36. If all you are doing is plugging the holes, you could probable cheat the threads out to 8-40? Otherwise as suggested
you will have to make some.

Fastenal was the first place I thought of too. We lost our local one and now it's a Grow Generation (for mary jane people). I bought a tub of grasshopper pesticide from them.

Back