Sesame Street Magazine article on kids & guns

dZ

Lethal Weapons

You can't hide a gun from a child. Here are some necessary precautions to take.
by Thomas Clavin

One spring day in 1995 an 18-month-old toddler named Jacqueline
Alvarez-Mendoza and her 2 1/2-year-old brother were playing in a back bedroom
of their home in Austin, Texas. The children discovered what they thought was a
new toy—a semiautomatic pistol. Naturally curious, the two began to examine
and play with the pistol. Suddenly the gun went off and the bullet struck
Jacqueline in the head. The little girl was rushed to the hospital; less than 45
minutes later she was dead.

Tragically, this is not a one-of-a-kind story. Each year more than 200 children,
aged 14 and under, die from unintentional shootings. Nearly all the deaths
occur in or around the home. According to Heather Paul, Ph.D., executive
director of the National Safe Kids Campaign in Washington, D.C., most children
are killed, or kill other children, while playing with handguns they've found in the
home.

Today it is estimated that one out of two homes nationwide contains some type
of firearm; one in four contain a handgun. "But children and guns in the home is
a potentially fatal combination," warns Sarah Brady, chair of the Center to
Prevent Handgun Violence in Washington, D.C. The danger is compounded
when parents and caregivers underestimate a curious child's ability to find and
shoot a firearm, even when it's been hidden. One study showed that 25 percent
of three- and four-year-olds have the two-finger strength to fire a gun, and 70
percent of five- and six-year-olds have that ability.

To protect children from the dangers of guns, parents and caregivers must know
the facts about firearm safety.

Preventable Tragedies
Many adults carry guns for work-related purposes or for recreation, but the
primary reason parents own handguns is for protection. However, increasing
evidence suggests that guns offer a false sense of security: A firearm in the
home is 43 times more likely to kill a family member or friend than an intruder,
according to a study conducted by Arthur Kellermann, M.D., director of the Center
for Injury Control at Emory University in Atlanta.

Increasing the risk of harm to children is the fact that many gun owners don't
take adequate precautions with gun storage at home. Consider these findings:

About 50 percent of the accidental shootings involving young children in
California were the result of youngsters finding and playing with guns
that were kept unlocked and loaded, a recent study in the Journal of the
American Medical Association reported.

According to a recent survey conducted at Northwestern University
Medical School's Children's Memorial Hospital in Chicago, 61 percent of
gun owners in rural, suburban, and urban homes store at least one gun
unlocked, and 15 percent keep a loaded gun.

Even if you don't own a gun, you cannot assume that your child is not at
risk. According to the Center to Prevent Handgun Violence, 32 percent of
accidental shootings involve guns belonging to a friend, neighbor, or
relative of the victim. "Most parents, especially those who would never
dream of owning a weapon themselves, don't think to ask the parents of
their child's playmate if they own a gun," says Marjorie Hogan, M.D., staff
pediatrician at the Hennepin County Medical Center in Minneapolis and
spokesperson for the American Academy of Pediatrics. "The fact is, all
parents—those who own guns and those who don't—must discuss the
dangers of guns with their kids."

Protecting Your Child
Here are four ways you can prevent a gun-related accident:

Weigh the pros and cons of owning a gun in a home with children.
Obviously, it's safest for your child if you don't own a gun at all. If you feel
you must own a firearm, consider carefully whether your reasons for
wanting it outweigh the potential danger. If you are concerned about
intruders, consider installing an alarm system instead. As research has
proven, when a gun is fired in the home, the victim will most likely be a
family member.

Be a responsible gun owner.
If you own a firearm, make every effort to handle and store it safely. For
instance, keep the firearm under lock and key and store the bullets
separately. Invest in a childproofing device, such as a trigger lock, to
make it more difficult for a child to pull the trigger.

Realize, however, that these devices alone do not ensure safety, says
Susan DeFrancesco, coordinator of the Johns Hopkins University School
of Public Health's Center for Gun Policy and Research in Baltimore. "The
owner has to remember to put the device on and attach it correctly," she
explains. "A 'smart gun,' which only operates when the user is wearing a
special ring, is even more protection."

Talk to your youngster about guns.
"When your child is about age five, have an interactive discussion
concerning gun safety," suggests Charles Flatter, Ed.D., professor of
human development at the University of Maryland at College Park
Institute for Child Study and a Sesame Street Parents adviser. "If you
own a gun, ask your child how she feels about having a gun in your
home, and explain why it's there. Then you and your child can come up
with rules that will keep the family safe," says Dr. Flatter. "Bear in mind
that children who feel they are part of establishing rules in the home are
more likely to follow them."

Even if your family does not own a gun, says DeFrancesco, instruct your
child that if he sees or is shown a gun, he must leave the room
immediately and call you or another adult.

Discuss gun safety with neighbors and relatives.
One way to broach the subject is to show this article to your relatives and
the parents of your child's friends and classmates. Ask them if a firearm
is present in their home and, if so, how it is stored. "As the statistics
about children's gun-related injuries become more well known, it's more
socially acceptable to inquire about a gun in the home," says
DeFrancesco. Though it is a sensitive issue, she adds, it's the same as
asking a friend who will be driving your child somewhere if she has a car
seat.

Every parent, whether or not she owns a gun, must address the problem
of gun safety. Experts agree that the risk of a tragedy is greatly increased
when parents do not confront the issue. "What makes the accidental
shooting deaths of young children especially troubling is that we are
ignoring what's happening," says Brady. "For our children's sake, we
simply cannot afford to do that any more."

------------------
will you stand with me in DC on 10-2-99?
http://www.myplanet.net/jeffhead/LibMarch

odd they don't mention Eddie Eagle
or teaching your child good gun handling habits...

dZ

According to the Center to Prevent Handgun Violence, 32 percent of accidental shootings involve guns belonging to a friend, neighbor, or relative of the victim

What HCI doesn't say is that they lump gang shootings into these figures.... GREAT way to "load" the stats.

As an aside, I think we should arrest ALL gang members, take them out to a HUGE walled-off enclosure in the middle of the desert somewhere, and give them all the guns and ammunition they want. The only rule: the last one left alive gets $100 million from the gov't and a plane ticket to ANY OTHER country in the world.

Dennis

Dennis, that's a fine idea, except that most bangers can't shoot for shinola. Certainly not the ones I saw at the range this weekend.

Musing: The idiots were out in front of the line. Way out. I called the range officer's attention to them (he should've been watching himself, since they were blasting away with the obligatory AK and Glocks), and he instructed them to step back.

Should've kept my big mouth shut.

Oops, am I advocating that these poor misguided chillldrun should be removed from The Society What Done Them Wrong? Damn straight!

------------------
"America needs additional gun laws like a giraffe needs snow tires."
--Rabbi Mermelstein, JPFO

Dennis-
Go rent "Mean Guns" featuring Ice-T. Similar theory: stuff 100 hardened convicts into a sealed building, tell them there's a briefcase somewhere inside containing $10M, dump a couple cases of loaded guns on the floor, stand back and watch. Made for good mindless violence.

Back to the thread-
Teach the kids to shoot and let them do so under supervision whenever they ask to. Seems to be the fastest way to prevent them digging out those "mystical, forbidden items" and abusing them.

What if they knew how many kids die from drowning in the home, poisoned from household chemicals or prescription drugs, falls, or beatings from scumbag parents. Each one of these categories is a lot more than 200 a year.

On balance, even with it's many fatal flaws (we can immediately dismiss anything that Kellerman says) and Ms. Brady's misguided musings, the tone of it is going into the right direction. Anything going away from a Rosie type mentalilty is going on the right direction. ;)

O.K. guns folks, here's your big chance to make a positive impression. If someone who is fearful of weapons legitimately asks you about firearms, are you going to bite your tongue, put your best foot foward, and "nudge" them in the right direction? Or are you going to "cripple the cause", lecture them about your rights and blow them off?

We should all remember, we are either part of the solution, part of the problem, or part of the scenery. Which one, by choice, will you be?

------------------
"In ourselves our safety mudt be sought.
By our own right hand it must be wrought."
William Wordsworth

I'll answer truthfully. However, like my father, I won't tell people how many guns I have or exactly where, because I don't want that info floating around. I'm not paranoid about the gov't any more than the rest of you, but it's a good way to get robbed.

The best thing you can do to keep your kid's hands off your gun in your bedroom is if (s)he gets to try it at the range and also sees what it does to a 3-D target--maybe fruit or a can of soda for effect? A kid who knows he can use the gun if he asks but is banned 'till puberty if he gets caught misusing it or handling it alone will likely not take the risk. Dad did it to me with my bow--he caught me firing an arrow straight up when I thought his back was turned one day and I was banned from all shooting for a month--worse was that he looked disgusted, and I actually respected my dad, so that mattered. I never tried that crap again.

The bogus Kellerman study seems to have an indefinite life. At this point, I am inclined to believe our sun will go supernova at some future date, the earth will be destroyed, and aliens will still be saying 'a ray gun in the spaceship is 43 times more likely to kill a fellow alien than ... yada, yada, yada'. ;)

I wonder if anyone in the press will ever actually read that study, note its admitted mathematical errors, and especially examine its faulty logic? Nah ...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I wonder if anyone in the press will ever actually read that study, note its admitted mathematical errors, and especially examine its faulty logic? [/quote]

HAH! ROTMFFLMMFAO! You slay me . . . . Oh, heavens to Murgatroyd . . .

Funny, my 5 1/2 year old recently outgrew Sesame Street Magazine and I didn't get this issue. They do bring up some good points though.

Who can argue with these?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>To protect children from the dangers of guns, parents and caregivers must know the facts about firearm safety.

Increasing the risk of harm to children is the fact that many gun owners don't take adequate precautions with gun storage at home.

Even if you don't own a gun, you cannot assume that your child is not at risk. (see above-TBM)[/quote]

I consider all of the above good and true statements. I have already taught my daughter the rules when she sees a gun.

1. STOP

2. DON'T TOUCH

3. WALK AWAY

4. TELL AN ADULT

Tonight a funny thing happened when she saw an old copy of my American Hunter Magazine with a photo of some rifles on the cover. She put both her hands on her head and walked over to me and said, "Daddy, I saw a gun." I wonder at what age I can take her out with me shooting and have her understand a little more what guns are all about. Opinions please?

Getting back to the article though, some of this really p!$$ed me off <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>"Suddenly the gun went off"

"A 'smart gun,' which only operates when the user is wearing a special ring, is even more protection."

and of course the old favorite "A firearm in the home is 43 times more likely to kill a family member or friend than an intruder[/quote]

Does anyone have one of these "smart guns?" ;)

------------------

RKBA!

"A right is not what someone gives you; it's what no one can take from you." - Ramsay Clark

"Rights are liable to be perverted to wrongs when we are incapable of rightly exercising them." - Sarah Josepha Hale

[This message has been edited by TheBluesMan (edited September 23, 1999).]

TBM;

She's 5 1/2, she's old enough. Just have a SMALL gun, one that shoots .22, ear protection to fit a small head, and don't force it. Maybe she'd just like to watch for a while, maybe she'd like to jump right in. My son started shooting at 4, because he wanted to!

How about the classic first gun, namely a BB gun. They're light, quiet, and can be used indoors with the proper backstop.
Can't remember when I started with a BB gun, I just always remember having one.

What a crock. Maybe an AR-15 is more likely, but I get my kicks outta shooting at and through things like car doors and sheetrock. Yes you must be ever mindfull of what's on the other end of the gun you are holding, but I have personally shot a 12 guage shotgun loaded with #7 birdshot at 2 pieces of sheetrock form 8 feet separated by 4 inches, and the damndest thing happened, the bird shot failed to penatrate teh second sheet. But working in an E.R. I have seen what birdshot does to human flesh on cantact. OUCH!!! There is no excuse for not having your guns under some sort of lock and key. I have dillegently practiced and can unlock my bedside safe in 3-4 seconds. YES I have been woke up from a dead sleep and was still able to accomplish it in about 6 seconds. The real funny stories we will never hear or actually never hear all of are like this one that happened about 8 months ago here. "3 Year old shoots mother with household gun, more at Eleven" All we got was how this little kid got daddy's gun and shot mommy. What they forgot to mention was that dad was a convicted felon, bought the gun from a guy on the street, had it loaded, round chambered, safety off, laying on the headboard, all because he had stiffed a guy on a drug deal and was waiting for the guy to try and come for his money. Responsibility on the gun owners behalf is our first priority, keeping the criminals off the street is the govt.'s responsibility. Register and vote, make some noise at the election. Put an eviction notice on slick willie's doorstep, and kick Reno out at the same time. Write you Senators and representative's. Don't settle for a form letter from them either. Bob Graham sent me two, I went and saw him personally and he doesn't even return letters, he has an admin assistant that does it. I got to responses from a freakin secretary's point of view. Stand up and fight, it is the only way we will stop the assault on our freedom's. Democracy still works, but too many still want to sit around and bitch about it and not do anything about it.

I'll get off my soapbox and go clean my 1911A1 now.

------------------
DOCSpanky
"Walk softly and carry a big stick, perferably one of the 12 guage variety!"

yep if they really wanted to make kids safer and cut down on accidental shootings and keep kids from borrowing granddads rifle...

They would advocate a tax break for proper gun storage lockers!

make the break be applied at the manufacturer so you and i could buy a safe for 100 bucks with no paper work

do it for the Kids sake.

dZ

------------------
will you stand with me in DC on 10-2-99?
http://www.myplanet.net/jeffhead/LibMarch

Back