Service Rifle Sights: 1/4 minute or 1/2 minute

Gary H

I'm in California and have had an AR lower sitting in my safe. Thinking of ordering a Rock River National Match A2 upper. When shooting Service Rifle in High Power, do you prefer 1/4, or 1/2 minute sights? What are the positive and negative aspects of each? Anyone have suggestions as to good Internet vendor?

1/2's or 1/4's are a individualized choice some prefer 1/2's and other prefer 1/4's.

Pluses for 1/2's; Consistent with the M14 NM sights. If you're a convert then it makes the transition easier. Not as many clicks to count to put your dope on the sight.

Pluses for 1/4's; If you're shooting tight, 1/4's allow you to dial into the center more precisely.

Personal experience;
I got my AR with 1/4 wind. While shooting at 600 yards I realized it took more time to make adjustments because I'd be thinking in terms of 1/2's and converting to 1/4's before putting it on. When the wind started switching, I'd click and shoot. When the wind died, I had no idea how many clicks of wind I had on because the numbers were so big (twice as much as 1/2) and I couldn't get back to my "no-wind" quick enough.

From the other side; (I switched to 1/2 wind after that first match)
I shot in a reduced match. I was consistently shooting tight 10's on the 600 reduced target at 9 o'clock. I put 1 click of right wind and found I had clicked through the x ring into the 10 at 3 o'clock. At that point I regretted swapping my 1/4's for 1/2's.

Good luck.

Agreed, the 1/4s (or 1/8s) are better for short course than for XC. I started with 1/4 for everything, and think of the aiming black in minutes, so the 1.4 doesn't kill me in a fast switch. If I started playing with windage increments I'd be all screwed up. Get one and stick with it. My suggestion would be for 1/4s but expect it to take just a tad bit longer. 1/2s for a Rattle Battle gun for sure.

Out the other ear, against the wall and under the table. I'll get some experience and then judge for myself. It was the first step that concerns me for now. It isn't that I ignored your post. I appreciate the information, but I doubt that I will ever get good enough to consider such a move.

Back