Service Revolvers...are they all .38 and .357?

Nightcrawler

By service revolver, I mean one of a medium frame (usually) with a four to five inch barrel, not specifically designed for concealed carry nor for bear hunting. You know, a SERVICE revolver!

Anyhoo, they all seem to be in .38 Special and .357 Magnum. Now, there are a few exceptions, but not many.

Are there any service-type revolvers in:

.45 Colt
.44 Special (ya gotta admit, .44 Mag is a bit much for most defensive shooting)
.41 Magnum

Thanks in advance. :)

Smith & Wesson makes a Mountain Lite in 44 Special, very light and quite versatile. They also Have a L frame called the 646 PC (Performance Center) chambered in 40 S&W. Taurus has got the Tracker models in both 357 Magnum and 41 Magnum. Made from both Stainless Steel and Titanium.

Robert

Still some in 44 Special and 41 Magnum; the 45 Colt in SA only.

'Might' be some issued still, but most I'd guess are preference-carry.

(nuthin wrong with a correctly-loaded 44 Mag)

The S&W model 58 was a service revolver in .41 magnum. It was used for a short time by the U. S. Secret Service, among other agencies. Fixed sights and typically a 4" barrel. Don't forget the 1917 Colt and S&W guns in .45 ACP.

I don't know what they carry now, but for a while, Houston, TX PD carried S&W M-25.5's in .45 Long Colt.

As Clemson said, there were a number of agencies that used the M-58, .41 Mag, at one time.

I've even head an unsubstantiated rumor that at least on new Mexico Sheriff's Department issued 4 5/8" Ruger Blackhawks in .45 LC as late as 15 years ago.

Doc Hudson

While you asked about larger calibers, we should note that police revolvers were once chambered in cartridges *smaller/weaker* than .38 Special/.357 Magnum.

If you go back to the early- and mid-20th Century you will find numerous examples of police service revolvers chambered for various .32 caliber cartridges (e.g., .32 S&W, .32 S&W Long, .32 Colt New Police, etc.).

Similarly, there are also numerous examples of police service revolvers from the same era chambered for other .38 cartridges (e.g., .38 S&W, .38 Colt Long, etc.).

The .41 Magnum S&W Model 58 was mentioned, but I'll mention it again because I like it so darn much. ;)

Also, we can toss into the mix the S&W 547, which was chambered for 9x19mm. It was intended for the French police but IIRC they never took delivery. Came in 3-inch round butt, and 4-inch square but versions.

All Sizes and Shapes - - -

Like so many topics, this one is pretty subjective, and has a lot to do with definitions--

There was a time when officers of almost all military services were expected to furnish their own sidearms. After things progressed well into the cartridge era, most were required to choose one chambered for the "standard issue" cartridge. Really, it went farther back than that, for practicality's sake. Why would one choose a percussion revolver that wouldn't accept the military service's paper cartridges that they supplied? And, writing that, I recall several old photographs of personnel on both sides of the War for the Liberation of the Southern Confederacy posing with Colt .31 pocket revolvers, wearing small military style holsters.

There is at one famous image of a Southern officer on horseback, brandishing an early S&W rimfire revolver (No. 1-1/2? No. 2? Whatever the .32 RF with spur trigger was - - - )

For several decades, British officers could carry anything chambered for .455--Thus, the Webley-Fosberry Automatic Revolver was an approved "service sidearm."

And, you could well say that any holster sidearm worn in uniform and supplied by the individual law enforcement officer is/was a service gun.

I personally know two officers who were issued S&W Model 58, .41 magnums when they worked at Amarillo PD some years ago.

The old 1917 S&W was simply a militarized version of the Second Model Hand Ejector. They are lumped in with the N-Frames usually, but were actually a somewhat lighter and trimmer framed revolver. The Colt 1917 was the New Service, which was still being issued by several agencies in the 1940s, and, I believe, into the 50s.

If you limit the frame size to "Medium," as in the S&W Military and Police and the Colt Official Police, you're right--pretty much .38 and .357 only. By the time agencies began issuing sidearms, the .41 Colt DA was pretty much obsolete.

Certain "Indian Agency" police were issued Remington SA revolvers, nickle-plated, with long barrels. Don't know caliber, but they were certainly .44 or .45.

Speaking of personal preference sidearms, at least one old Texas Ranger daily carried a Colt SA in .45 right up to his retirement in the late 1960s. Rangers have always had a lot of latitude in their choice. They are issued the standard DPS sidearm, but can carry 'most anything that meets minimums. Our local Ranger has a SiG somewhere, but he carries a Colt Government Model .45 that his daddy gave him.

When Theodore Roosevelt was Police Commissioner of New York City, he standardized a .32 double action as the police service revolver. I believe it was the Colt, but not sure on this one.

I have no documentation, but have HEARD that the Charter Arms .44 Special Bulldog was issued by some agency, but don't know which. And I read, just today, that the original female Special Agents of the FBI were issued S&W Chiefs Specials, because of their smaller hands. Whoops--these were definitely for concealment, and really don't meet the topic as defined.

Seems I heard of some agency in Alaska that issued .44 Magnums--Not for bad guys, but so the officers might contend with unruly bears. Anyone have any true information on this?

Interesting topic, Nightcrawler.

Best,
Johnny

Back