Service life of S&W 640 357 mag

Bruce Banner

I was curious about the service life of the S&W 640 in .357 mag. I had heard that the service life of this pistol is around 3,000 rounds with full load 357 magnum. Is this true? How about with 38 spl? Just got ta' thinking about this and figured you guys would have some input. Thanks

3000 rounds?
That seems awfully low.

I haven't read, and I don't even know if it's been done, any articles about a 'torture' test in which a M640 was shot til broken.

And, what is broken?
A broken spring, split forcing cone, cut topstrap?

I won't even wager a guess as to service life....

But, I would bet money that you will were out your hand before wearing out the gun.

So, I bought one awhile back, do shoot some 357's through it, but mainly stick to 125gr +P rounds and 110gr +P+ rounds.

I haven't added any appreciable wear to the gun.

-Kframe

I can't answer the question, but would wager that thin forcing cone wouldn't last through too many magnums, especially full velocity 125 grainers. M19s split forcing cones and went out of time quickly with these and a M19 is much bigger than a J frame.

Sure, size matters...
But, you gotta take into account the current metallurgic technology.

The S&W M10 of 2001 is not the same as one made in the 1970's, which is different than one made in the 50's, the 40's bla bla bla all the way back to 1899 with the first M&P in .38 LC.

Yep, that forcing cone on the M640 is thin, but I bet it's still stronger than the forcing cone of a 1920's N-frame.

Even so, I stand by my statement that you'll wear out your hand before wearing out an M640-1.

:) -Kframe

I think the issue with the 125s was erosion, not splitting. Modern metallurgy can only help so much with that. But cheer up, modern metallurgy has greatly improved the service life of the pins they'll put in your thumb and wrist joints while you're trying to wear out the 640! :-)

My 640-1 had roughly 2400 rounds of full magnum ammo when i had to send it back because it was going out of time. S&W replaced the cylinder; turns out the bolt cuts where getting peened out of shape.

It has had roughly 2600 rounds through it sice then, and two of the chambers are getting very noticible off-center primer strikes, so it looks like it ready to go back again. Based on this gun i would say that 3000 rounds is a very realistic figure.

This time when it comes back i will take it a bit easier on it, just 110 jhps and medium velocity 125 jhps from here on out.

LOVE LOVE LOVE the gun though and i don't care it i have to send it back every now and then. It is by far the best small defensive gun that i have ever owned!

Back