service life for M1A standard

vince weng

Does any know the possible service life for M1A standard, loaded, and super match? I was told that the service life for M1A is much shorter that AR15 because the caliber (bullet weight). Is that true?

Hi Vince - I can tell you from my own experience that a National Match barrel on an M1A will hold tight for no less than 5000 rounds before you MIGHT notice a little spreading of groups. I have a Krieger SS barrel on mine which replaced the original at around 15,000 rounds. Granted, I do not shoot competetively and am not in the 1/4" MOA club, so the accuracy was fine for me up to the 15,000 mark. The only real reason I changed the barrel was that I got a good deal on the Krieger.

As far as the receiver goes, mine has over 50,000 rounds through it with no appreciable wear. I do change the bolt every time I change the barrel for proper head spacing.

Good luck

Depending how serious you want to get you could start tracking the accuracy of your rifle......Every year as close to the same conditions and preferably using the ammo from the same lot or as closely duplicated as you can, shoot a string at a measured distance with a benched and bagged rifle and keep the yearly test targets and a running summary of what you shoot between tests....type of ammo, lot#'s etc,,,,,its not as big a hassle as you might think and it will accurately tell you how the rifle is shooting......Once you work up or settle on a load you most likely wont change loads...fubsy.

A lifetime, depending on the care you give it. In developing your loads, keep to GI specs with respect to velocity (& pressure). Too hot and you can accelerate wear on the gun. Too low and you compromise reliability. Make sure it's greased, cleaned and pampered and your children, if legal, can enjoy it.

I have a slightly different take on the barrel life. I noticed moderate (ok, slight) degredation at about 3000 rnds on my M1A SM when I was shooting it alot a few years back. I was basically shooting every week and putting about 200 rnds (10 20 rnd magazines) per session with the same reloads every time. The difference was small, about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch at 100 yds, but it was documentable and repeatable. I then picked up a National match and decided that the problem was me shooting so many rounds at once. So the NM I just would fire a magazine (20 rnds per target) and then open the bolt and store it in the rack to cool while I continued to work with the SM. Later I picked up a loaded M1A and a conventional M1A, so now when I go and put in my 200 rnds (every other to 3rd week now) I shoot a magazine, set that rifle aside, shoot the next gun, and repeat. By the time I am back to the first gun, it has cooled pretty well. Using this technique I have kept the accuracy of the newer guns fairly consistent.

My plan for the SM is to rebarrel it this fall at Springfield and get back to having it the best shooter and not the NM.

Just a different take on the problem.

------------------
P229 Sport and 357 SIG, Perfection!

Back