Series 80 Gold Cup

Bob C

I recently traded for a Gold Cup Series 80, and although I only test fired (100 rounds) so far I'm pleased. It compares favorably with my Kimber Stainless Gold Match (which is apparently one of their good ones). I've heard a few criticisms of the later Gold Cups, and would be interested in anyone's experiences with them.

Thanks,

Bob

I shoot a stainless Series 80 Gold Cup all the time. It is an enhanced version and will shoot scary accurate with 6.0 grains of Unique behind a 200 grain LSWC. I have a blue Series 80 Gold Cup, pre-enhanced, that will do as well. Yours will probably do the same. Enjoy your Colt!

------------------
Be mentally deliberate but muscularly fast. Aim for just above the belt buckle Wyatt Earp
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel! BigG
"It is error alone that needs government support; truth can stand by itself." Tom Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1785

You should enjoy your Gold Cup. I bought a stainless about 3 years ago to replace a blued Series 70 that got ripped off and it has been a great shooter. One problem I had was with marginal factory mags causing failure to feed problems with some loads. Another is that if I shoot a hundred rounds at a whack it gets so filthy I get occasional FTFs as well. But, the accuracy is darned incredible. Keep it clean and you should have a darned good shooter. I haven't polished the feed ramp at all. Perhaps my problems would go away after a session with the Dremel tool and some polishing compound.

[This message has been edited by slickpuppy (edited December 06, 1999).]

I have a Series 70 Gold Cup. With all the other 45s I own, the only thing I've used it for was a platform for the Ace conversion. So many guns, so little time.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Bob, i've got a Series 70 Gold Cup coming my way this week.
Hope it's as accurate as everyone elses here !
Or at least as reliable as my Para-Ordance ;)

------------------
"The Gun from Down Under !"
http://www.para1911fanclub.w3.to/
E-mail hotshot_2000@hotmail.com
Alternate E-mail
HS2000@ausi.com

When my father died in 1981, he owned four 70 Series Gold Cups. My brother got two and I got two. Brother got in bind a few years ago and "gave" his away. I held on to mine. My father had bought a Gold Cup in the seventies for a friend of mine. Friend called me up a few years ago and asked me if I wanted to buy the still-new-in-the-box G.C. for $350. I hotfooted it over to pick that baby up. I gave one of the G.C.'s to my oldest son, as a college graduation present, leaving me with the unfired G.C. and the one that I shoot occasionally.

I'm using my shooting G.C. now to fire .400 Cor-Bon out of a compensated, .400 Accu-Match barrel.

Local bank prez owns an 80 Series. Not nearly as smooth in the trigger as my 70's.

Since I own a Glock 21, I don't find much time for shooting the 1911's. The Glock gets shot a lot and stays with me. The G.C.'s stay in the safe.

------------------
Shoot to kill; they'll stop when they're dead!

Back