Series 70: Junk?

Model12Win

How are the new Colt’s 70 Series reproduction 1911s? Do they jam up all the time? Are they MIM trash now? Or are they fit to wear the pony?

I don't presently have a 1911. I haven't had a keeper for 20yrs. I have a good
stash of S&W centerfield revolvers, all older models. I haven't kept 1911s, had
no use for one. I only have 2 autos a m52 and Brn Hi Power competition model.
I decided I wanted a 1911 series 70, just plain jane model. I've got a couple
buddie's that are heavy into 1911s and a couple weeks ago I was going to buy
one of the new models and they talked me out of it. They have a low opinion of
them.

Go to any of the major 1911 forums and you can find plenty of commentary that was not written in response to your question and was not intended specifically to sway your opinion.

There's nothing wrong with MIM. Maybe in the early days of it but not now. Nearly everybody uses some of it

If you want a real nice machined pistol with all machined parts that fits really and shoots awesome out of the box, Pony up and buy a Dan Wesson.

I did. :)

David

If you want a Colt, the new 70's are generally fine. MIM will be universal near this price point and is not a big deal any more. My only caveat would be if you're looking into a 9mm or 38 Super, Colt does not use ramped barrels. This can limit feed reliability with some bullet types. Colt's are deliberately fitted on the "loose" side which has some benefits.

A Colt definitely has brand appeal. I don't see them real often at the range, which is enough to make me want a blued 70 series. If you are open to alternative brands, a price reach to a Dan Wesson, as David R said, is a good option.

Today was the last day to get an application to the Civilian Marksmanship Program for a
M1911A1. I sent mine in and will await my lottery number for a hopeful selection. If my number does not come in low enough, I will still be able to bid on the auctions for the most select of the pistols. You can't bid unless you submitted an application prior to today, Oct. 4, 2018.

Hope we hear more soon from the CMP. I am not interested in beaver tailed, skeletonized triggers and hammers of the modern day derivatives of the 1911.

Go to any of the major 1911 forums and you can find plenty of commentary that was not written in response to your question and was not intended specifically to sway your opinion.

This.

The somewhat trollish and loaded question of the OP is not going to result in accurate representations of the Colt pitols or their competitors.

That said, in my experience, the current Colt Series 70 pistols are very nice 1911s for their price range.

Colts have about the least MIM of any "production" 1911.
At last count, I think it was limited to the sear, disconnector . . . and I think there's one more, but it escapes me, now.

Cast parts include the thumb safety, grip safety, mag release, and, again, maybe one more part.

Colt changed the finish on the Series 70 a year or two ago, it's not as brightly polished as before, and if I were looking for one I'd try to find a new, but older example with the finer finish.
In terms of "tightness", accuracy, and reliability, I'd expect it to be better than the guns made in the '70s.

Since Colt discontinued the '91 series, it's the only option for a Colt with the classic appearance of the original.

RickB said:
Since Colt discontinued the '91 series, it's the only option for a Colt with the classic appearance of the original.

The Model O1991 seems to be alive and well at Colt, listed under Pistols > Traditional Series.

That's good news, and contrary to what I'd seen on 1911forum.
Of course, Colt may have cancelled them a couple of years ago, and now they're back.

A buddy of mine bought a 91 and a Series 70 at the same time, at least ten years ago, and I thought the finer polish and steel mainspring housing on the S70 were worth the extra bucks, but if the S70 now features a finish closer to the 91, I'd probably save the bucks.

I have two 91s, and they are nice guns, with the same "bones" as the S70.

EDIT: It looks like only the blued .45 is still available in the 91 line, but that's still good news. They used to have blued and stainless, in .45, 9mm, and .38 Super.

I've owned a number of various 1911 pistols including a half dozen Colts in the past 40+ years. Based upon my experience with them, Colt would be one of my last choices.
Also, their customer service is even worse than their product.
My 1911 collection is Colt free.

I've purchased a Colt Competition Pistol a few years ago and it has been 100% reliable, so it seems the series 70 would most likely be the same.

I've owned a number of various 1911 pistols including a half dozen Colts in the past 40+ years. Based upon my experience with them, Colt would be one of my last choices.

Me too. Only thing different is that my 1911 "collection" is nothing but Colt.

I have 4 Series 70s (bought the first in March 1976) and have never looked back. All but one is in original condition as it came from the factory, and that is my 1911 collection.

I have never had a reason to not have Colts.

Model12Win said:
How are the new Colt’s 70 Series reproduction 1911s? Do they jam up all the time? Are they MIM trash now? Or are they fit to wear the pony?
Current Colt 1911s are excellent pistols, and as good as (or better than) anything Colt has made in the past.

RickB said:
Colts have about the least MIM of any "production" 1911.
Correct.

Bottom Gun said:
To each his own. I started shooting 1911s in the Army in 1967. Today I own a few Colts, and a couple of Para-Ordnance double stacks. If I were to buy a new 1911 today, Colt would be right at the top of my list.

Bottom Gun said:
Also, their customer service is even worse than their product.
My experience has been exactly the opposite of yours.

Model12Win said:
I’ve heard the Colts are a bit loose and are among the most reliable. So it’s bull pucky?
Whoever you've bean hearing stuff from, you really owe it to yourself to stop listening to them.

Aguila Blanca's opinion mirrors mine.

Current Colts are as good or better than anything else out there at a similar price point.

I have two newer Colt 1911s and both have been among my most reliable 1911s, the fit and finish is excellent, and they are as accurate as any other 1911 I own- some costing well over twice what the Colts cost.

Normally I wouldn't reply to a question posed the way the OP has, but today I'll make an exception.

The currently manufactured Colts are fine pistols. There is nothing inherently wrong with the Series 70 models that are coming out of Hartford these days. I'd recommend finding an actual Colt stocking dealer if you want to buy one. They'll have some different pistols you can put your hands on before deciding which to take home.

The grip safeties will all rattle. It seems to be a Colt signature. Try a couple for thumb safety function; sometimes you'll encounter one that's a little mushy, though that's not the norm on the ones I've handled. Check them over for cosmetic blemishes, as it isn't unheard of to send a NIB Colt back to the mothership due to the way it looked when the box was opened. Not common either, but I personally know of at least one.

I have a blued 70 Series Colt Competition in 45 ACP I picked up last summer. It's been nothing but reliable and accurate since i took it out of the box. While it might not have the fine high polish bluing of the days of old, that's OK as it still looks better than many contemporary finishes. It isn't picky about magazines and I haven't had a single issue with the pistol. Best of all, it has the Pony on the side and is exactly what I wanted.

(For the record, you couldn't give me a Kimber or SIG as a replacement for a Colt. At the $1000 price point, Colt has much better parts quality, no matter how flashy the other 2 are.)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Back