Series 70 Gold Cup Assembly help needed

g17

Inactive
I detail stripped my Colt Gold Cup series 70
for the first time. When I removed the sear pin and pulled the sear and disconnector out a VERY small spring dropped out. I knew I was in trouble. A close look at the parts list shows a #44 Sear Depressor and #45 Sear depressor spring.
Q1: How does one put the sear with attached depressor(hold spring) back in and line up the sear pin without the #$%! spring going boing. proceeded by 1 hour of searching for the MkddkFkdkdk spring.
Q2: I thought I read a similiar post about this #$#% spring. and the concensus was to throw it away!. Sounds good to Me. However I would like a pro opinion before doing so
Seems to me this is an awfully small, weak,
part to be running in such a critical place.

Please help.

g17,
I too have a Series 70 Colt Gold Cup in .45 Auto. I was never able to get the sear depresser spring back in place when reassembling the gun. It is supposed to add a little tention against the sear to prevent hammer drop to 1/2 cock. I lost it, or threw it away, I never missed the little piece and think that is probably not needed.
Bob

g17,
Your posting jusr reminded me that once I even tried Super Glue on the end of the spring that fits in the hold in the sear to hold it in place. It still fell out! Throw the damn thing away.
Bob

G17, you can do without it. It's one of those parts that you just have to stay at until you get it in. I'm sure that Colt had folks on the assembly line that could put it in under two seconds but I've never found a way to do it easily. You just have to be more stubborn than the parts. George

I have two 70 Series Gold Cups. Never detail stripped either of them; never lost any little springs, and they both still shoot and function perfectly. Of course, I guess if you are adding custom parts you have to disassemble the receiver.

Have you tried a slave pin? This is a pin of the same diameter as the sear pin as long as the assembled width of the sear assy. Put it togeather out of the gun, carefully install it and push the slave pin out with the sear pin works slick. the purpose of the little spring and holder is to ensure positive engagement of lightend honed sear assemblys.

------------------
bigbear

Back