Sensitive Scale . . .

Prof Young

So, I'm going to assume it is a good thing that I have to turn the ceiling fan off before I try to use my Hornady powder scale as it seems to be reading the breeze from above and won't stablize at 00 until I turn the fan off.

Life is good.
Prof Young

Yep, you got it. Another issue is electromagnetic interference. Best to keep your cell phone away from the loading bench.
Others have mentioned sensitivity to fluorescent bulbs. I haven’t had an issue with this myself. I have a magnifying lamp on an adjustable arm clamped to my portable workbench which gives me light and a large magnifying lens right above my press. Very handy, especially when examining brass for cracks or checking primer pockets. It could throw some scales off.

I still prefer a beam scale.

Me too.

I load in the garage. On most days, I have to close either the side door or the main door to keep the draft down. Sometimes both. Oh, and I make sure I'm breathing away from the scale.

I have 3 beam scales I use (I can't pass up a bargain. RCBS 505, Lyman/Ohaus D5, and Lee SS). I have to turn off the room fans whenever I weigh powder as it doesn't take much to make a beam scale swing. My digital doesn't care much except when the breeze is strong enough to blow powder out of the pan.

I often leave my scale out. I have a "table" to raise the scale to closer to eye level and I just cover the scale with a plastic shoe box. Fits perfectly...

Last edited:
Also you need to stop breathing.

You want as quiet and stable an environment as you can get.

Wife opens the door to the shop? Arghhhhhh

I had a problem with my RCBS digital scale vacillating from zero. Zeroing with the pan on gave a value of 140 with the pan off, but that would change frequently to 141 or 139 during the reloading process. The problem resolved completely by plugging the transformer plus into a "SL WABER Power Master surge/noise suppressor, Model PM 1N", which then plugs into the receptacle.

Also, with cooler weather on its way, static electricity build-up on your body can deflect the pan, so unless your furnace heat is humidified, be prepared for cold weather reloading by getting a wrist groundstrap. They're available on Amazon for less than $5.

Back