Sendero SF .25-06

After having come close to buying a blued Sendero in .270(strangely the .270 only comes in blued), I finally decided to get the Sendero SF in .25-06 Remington. It took some research into the caliber to change my mind since I currently own a Synthetic ADL in .270 and it shoots very well, but I decided to take a chance on the "unique" caliber and I also preferred the stainless. Apparently the .25-06 is more popular than I had first thought(especially in the west), and after doing my homework, found that it seems to be the "perfect"(at least for me) all around caliber for varmints to big game to targets, especially since I plan to handload for it. I'm just surprised it is not even more popular than it is(but maybe that's just because I live in Florida). There is a very broad range of bullets for it from the factory as well as for handloading. I also bought a Burris 6-24x Signature scope w/target turrets and fine plex in matte black. I am anxiuosly waiting for the weekend to come so that I can try it out. Any suggestions on ammo or handloads is appreciated. I currently have some 100gr. Federal Balistic Tips and some Winchester 90 gr. Positive Expanding Point rounds to try. As for the rifle and .25-06 caliber itself, opinions, suggestions, comments?

I just worked up a load for my brothers BDL with the 120 grain Partitions and got below 1" at a 100 yards. I used IMR-4350 and worked up slow. Got 2900 FPS. Rem. cases and CCI primers.
Have fun and be safe,Race

The 25/06 has been an outstanding rifle since Nieder developed it many years ago. As long as the twist is right and the right weight bullets are used. It is an ideal sheep rifle, deer and antelope but having shot one a good many years as a varmint rifle it misses the boat. Accuracy and range is fine but I can tell you that a day over a good dog town and the recoil will eat your lunch.When you shoot over a hundred rounds in a morning it will tell on you real fast. As for the twist and bullet, The rifle shines when using 100 grain bullets shot out of a 12 twist barrel. Everyone wants to shoot the heavier 115 and 117 bullets and when they do it really degrades the overall performance.

Thanks for the replies so far. Keep'em coming please! As for my Sendero, it has a 1 in 10" twist, so it should hopefully have no problems with any bullet weight in .257. As for the recoil, the Sendero is a hefty rifle just by itself (about nine pounds on the scale) plus scope and mounts add up to between 10 1/2 and 11 pounds total. I figured if I could handle 50 rounds of .270 at one range session from my 8 1/2 pound ADL (including scope and mounts) without much discomfort, the apparently lower recoil of the .25-06 plus the added weight of the Sendero should make for a fairly moderate recoil with even many more rounds fired. Well, I guess I'll find out when I go shooting this weekend!

[This message has been edited by Long Range Dan (edited November 02, 1999).]

Long Range--

My Sendero SF is my favorite rifle. Out of the box accuracy (in .300 Win Mag) was .73" at 100 yards, first group after sight-in!

It's heavy and ungainly, but it's a great rifle. You're absolutely impervious to the elements when that snow storm comes in, or you get rained on. I don't know what your build is, but I just use mine like a regular rifle. I even took it twice to Colorado, hiking up and down the mountains, looking for elk.

To me, the bullet for .25-06 is the 120 grain, and I like the Sierra Game Kings. For heavier game, you might try the Nosler Partition in 120g. I have a friend who has great success with the Nosler 120g Ballistic Tips. I believe the Game King HP that I prefer is actually 117g, but who quibbles over 3 grains? ( :))

Although you can get the 100 grainers cooking to considerably hotter velocities, you won't notice the flatter characteristics before 300yds, whereupon the 120 grainers begin to really catch up with their improved Ballistic Coefficient and Sectional Density.

Enjoy!

Back