Senate Bans Possession of Hi-capacity Magazines

Gunfounder

The following is being reported on the FreeRepublic Web forum. http://www.freerepublic.com/forum/a37483a1c25d0.html

Is anyone aware of this. Here are some excerpts.

"Well it looks to me that every other gun owner in America may have just become a criminal as a result of the vote in the U.S. Sentate. Probably the most damaging vote was the voice vote to ban "large capacity feeding devices" by Sen. Feinstein.

"...not only bans the importation of large capacity magazines but also the possess of those currently held as a result of the exception in the 1994 gun ban"

"Feinstein does this by amending section 921(a)(31) by striking out the words "manufactured after the date of enactment of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994." Currently that provision reads:

(31)The term "large capacity ammunition feeding device"(A)means a magazine, belt, drum, feed strip, or similar device manufactured after the date of enactment of the Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994 that has a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than 10 rounds of ammunition;

The new language reads:

(A) means a magazine, belt ,drum, feed strip, or similar device that has a capacity of, or that can be readily restored or converted to accept, more than 10 rounds of ammunition;

Sounds innocent enough until you go to section (w)(1) which is left unchanged and it reads:

(w)(1) Except as provided in paragraph (2), it shall be unlawful for a person to transfer or possess a large capacity ammunition feeding device.

Paragraph (2) reads:

(2) Paragraph (1) shall not apply to the possession or transfer of any large capacity ammunition feeding device otherwise lawfully possessed on or before the date of the enactment of this subsection.

Should you take comfort that paragraph (2) protects you, think again. Ms. Feinstein is way ahead of us. Her amendment strikes out "except as provided in paragraph (2) "in paragraph (1) and replaces it with "(1)(A) Except as provided in subparagraph (B), which now reads:

(w)(1)"Except as provided in paragraph (B), it shall be unlawful for a person to transfer or possess a large capacity ammnition feeding device.

There is more and it does not get any better, visit the site and read the whole article. Sounds like we are about to become criminals and the Senators are out of control. Maybe the house will really read this when it gets to them. Duh! Assume nothing anymore, must be the water in Washington, everyone of them is being affected with emotional blindness.

Don't shoot the messenger, make your own conculsions and react accordingly.

Got an error message when I tried to use your link. None the less, I think I can comment based on your post. My comment is: Calm down!

Yes, the Senators are out of control. But proposals such as this do not become law until passed with identical language by the House, (Where we're stronger, or at any rate less weak.) and signed by the President. If every measure the Senate alone voted for had become law, everybody in the country would be a felon a thousand times over!

So we have to watch for this coming out of the conference committee, but IT'S NOT THE LAW OF THE LAND YET.

Back