Semiautos with slug barrels...

Beentown71

Looking for a semiauto that has slug barrels available for them (readily available).

I am usually a bow only kinda whitetail hunter but with me spending more time in the duck boat/goose blind I will probably be doing more gun hunting of whitetails.

My current waterfowl shotgun has no slug barrels available (Beretta Outlander) and any other that I would choose as a waterfowl gun don't have slug barrels available. The ones I would switch too would be a Franchi, Benelli, Beretta, or Stoeger.

I am leaning toward an 1100/1187 as it could be a back up waterfowl gun also. They seem to be reasonably priced on used units and barrels seem to be everywhere.

Any other recommendations? Semi auto only as I prefer them over pumps. My choice would be the Browning Gold Hunter or SX3 but they are a little pricey.

My deer gun is a browning silver, you will never want anything else after shooting one...

I use hornady saboted slugs, they are accurate like a rifle...

I have the infinity breakup but they have all black and wood/ss awesome rifles..
http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?fid=020B&cid=011&tid=351A
the scope rail is on the barrel so you can swap barrels easily... I use a 12ga but my brother has a stalker {all black stock and barrel except stainless gun} in 20 he kills boars, deer, yotes, ect with his.. I kind of want one in 20ga now..

Another good option is a beretta 390 with a hastons barrel...

I think this would be a steal...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=454075632
buy this used 390
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=454694842
comes with 2 barrels, so you will have 3 total, I would personally send it all out to easton for a cerakote job of your choosing depending on what the 390 sells for you could be into it for a little over 1K all coated and like new.. I am sure that gun shoots amazing, but easton will completely disassemble and reassemble it for you as well as test fire it, just ask them to check it all out when they do it and replace anything that looks worn {most likely nothing}... The 390s were good, i had a pair of them, sold them when I went up to the a400...
Or you could use it camo'd, it doesn't look like a bad job..

Last edited:
slugs

I have an inexpensive Stoeger 2000 that I keep as a loaner gun.
I picked up a "slug barrel" - smooth bore, rifle sights - recently from Numrich Arms. A brand new factory packed barrel.
Took it to the range the other day....50 yards....could not get a group with either Remington Sluggers or Winchester Rifled slugs. Off left and low. Sights could not adjust enough to bring what there was to the center.
I was about to give it up as a bad deal.....then I tried Brenneke Black Magic slugs and....Bingo! holes in the target...touching ....right where they should be.
So...I found what works.
Pete

^^^
There's really no need to get a genuine slug barrel, especially if you intend to stay with a smoothbore.
With the right ammo for the barrel you already have, it could be plenty good enough.
If sights are needed, there's good ones that can be added to any shotgun.
Just a thought.
See all the money and hassle we just saved you.

I appreciate all the advice so far. I don't wanna alter my current shotgun (Outlander) that I use for waterfowl. I wish they had a slug or shorter smooth bore available for it.

I may just look for another 390 like mentioned above.

I have an 11-87 with the 21" rifle sight smoothbore rem-choke bbl. 12ga. and its a soft shooting and accurate deer getter and I also switch out choke's for turkeys on that same bbl. and I also have the 28"rem-choke bbl. for every thing else . great combo :D

Back