SEMI-AUTO STEN ?

KML

Has anybody seen or used a semi-auto sten?There is a ad in he shotgun news from a company called catco for $599 atf approved.I have always liked the look of a sten,so i was wondering if they work.They also sell a receive and 16 barrel for 299 that works with the MKII kits that sell for 129,which is what i may be interested in trying.

KEVIN

I saw one of CATCO's Sten Guns in a shop and it looked excellent (for a Sten). This was a completed gun, so you'd kind of expect that.

The only problem with buying a kit and a CATCO receiver tube is that you'd have to convert it to semiauto only and to fire from a closed bolt.

I've always had a weakness for the Sten Gun, I don't know why. I'd like to do the same, but I live in CA, so that's out.

What a coincidence! I'm sitting here reading an article in the latest SAR about Sterling/Sten conversions. Though the article deals with FA weapons they discuss the parts kits. There are some things to watch out for." The trigger assembly lock screw hole in the handgrip frame should be round and not oblong because of excessive bolt cyclings, within the trigger assembly the guide rod and axis pins must be checked - on early ROF Fazakerley SMG's these were phosphated and prone to rusting. Later production guns and all Sterling-manufactured unit used stainless steel pins - make sure you have these. Also, check the sear nose and trip ledge on the bottom of the bolt as they must not be rounded in order to assure proper bolt release."
They also go on to talk about the registered tubes and of the four mfgr's mentioned, Catco was at the bottom of the list. It wasn't a bad tube, it used 4130 chromoly steel with a DOM of .049" wall thickness. Other C2s used .065 4130. While thinner than optimum it still "adheres to Sten specifications quite well".

I know people hate me for getting into little issues like laws. If you want a semi-auto "STEN", buy the gun complete from Catco. You will have a legal semi-auto carbine that resembles a STEN.

If you buy a parts kit from a selective fire STEN (and those are the only kits I know of right now) and make up a receiver tube for it, you will have manufactured a machine gun.

If you are either ignorant or stupid, and want to tell me how it's all legal and no problem, and so-and-so who sold the tubing said you can make a "real" STEN, etc., save it for the Feds.

Jim

(Yes, there are some pure dummy MG and SMG receivers that cannot possibly function as a gun. Anyone who believes people are buying tubing to make dummy guns will be interested in buying the Bay Bridge from me.)

JEK

JIM
I do not want to do anything illegal.Catco's ad says their receive is semi-auto only and comes with atf letter,but you may be right it maybe better to buy the complete rifle just to be safe.

KEVIN

Interesting...
I would LOVE a legal STERLING...

Of course I would have to dress it up to look like a STORM TROOPER'S BLASTER...

Same thing If I had a TOMMY GUN... It would quickly become a M-41A PULSE RIFLE from ALIENS...

Yeah - I am a movie buff...

------------------
"Supreme authority derives from a mandate from the masses. Not from some farsicle aquatic ceremony."

RAGE AGAINST THE MACHINE
The Critic formerly known as Kodiac

Kevin, I haven't seen the CATCO receiver. If it is semi auto only it must have all the trigger group attached, but I don't know what other parts you could use from a parts kit. The stock, maybe, but the barrel is too short. I think I would just buy the complete gun.

Jim

Back