Semi-Auto concealled carry questions?

Redleg

After two agonizing years in Commiefornia I'm finally moving back to Georgia, a "free" state. As I already have my GA CCW I'll be able to carry (legally) on a daily basis. I have narrowed my choices of possible carry guns to the Glock 30 or 36 and the Kimber Ultra CDP. Until this year I have had almost no experience with 1911 style .45's. After a friend enlightened me I have come to like them very much. I also have come to appreciate the simplicity and ergonomics of the Glock's. My question is, which would make a better carry pistol and why? All opinions are welcome. I have handled both the Kimber and the G36 and like the way they feel. The Kimber screams quality and refinement just sitting in the display case. The G36 fits my hand like it was molded for it. The G30 on the other hand screams firepower with it's 10+1 capability but I haven't handled one yet. Is the G36 with only 6 in the mag that much slimer to make it a better choice? I will probably end up owning both at some point but until then which should I start with the Kimber, or one of the Glocks? I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for" and have a very understanding (forgiving) wife so money isn't an issue. ;)

All three are fine pistols and you cannot go wrong. Personally, my pick would be the G30. I find chopped grip 1911s uncomfortable to hold and shoot. I shot the G36 about a year ago and though it was accurate enough it too was uncomfortable to me, bordering on painful. But these critisms are personal ergonomics and the G30 may have too fat a grip for you. For me, the G30 is a joy to shoot even with the hottest +P loads. In the end, it will be whichever fits your paw the best.

Welcome back to Dixie. I have the Kimber PRO CDP, and love it, but I wouldn't rule out a Glock by no means. I don't think you'll go wrong with either.

Great Choices

I would go along with your thinking and then I would buy the pistol that felt best in my hand. I have very large hands and my choice of what feels best to me may not suit you. Regards, Richard

Nice problem to have.

I choose to carry a Springfield 1911 because of mostly ergonomic reasons. The thinner grip is more comfortable for me to hold and shoot, and easier to conceal. Both are great choices, and IMHO your decision will come down to 3 things: Size, magazine capacity, cocked and locked carry. Your opinions on these items will determine your choice, but the good news is you can't go wrong.

I agree with Ajax, I wish all our problems were like this. The best gun is the one you like best and/or shoot best. I know, it's a cop-out, but I would no sooner let someone else pick my gun than I would let them pick my wife.

I suppose you could carry the Kimber strong side, the G30 weak side, and the G36 in an ankle holster. Teach yourself to fire the G36 with your toes, and you'll co-star in the next Chow Yun-Fat movie. :)

I can't speak to the G36, but, as between the Kimber and the G30, I'll echo the observations in the previous responses: you've got a problem, bit it's a high class problem! I have a G30 and love it. However, I also have a Kimber Ultra Carry, and, over time, it has evolved into my usual carry gun. The only reason is that it just "fits" me better in most respects. This is totally subjective and personal. You can't go wrong with either gun: just go with what "fits" you. If both guns were equally available when the time came to carry, which one would you end up picking up most often? That's sort of the approach I took, and the answer ended up being the Kimber.

I think you need to shoot all three first.Glocks for me and others do not point well.Its in your hand shape.Shoot them and pick what is best for you.All are quility firearms.

Kimber or Springfield?

I considered the Springfield as well. The same friend that turned me on to 1911's carries one. Very nice gun. In the end it came down to the fact that I could buy the Springfield and have $300-$500 worth of custom work done (trigger job, edges beveled etc.) or just go with the Kimber CDP. I really like the finger grove grips on the Springfield though. If I go with the CDP I'll definitely be swapping the grips.

Now, if I'm not mistaken the Glocks are all "half cocked" due to the internal safeties right? I guess I could rationalize that this would be faster as I would have no manual lever to switch off before firing leaving less room for error in a hostile situation. This is going to be tougher than I thought. Guess I'll just have to get one of each! I wish. I still haven't cleared this with my "chief financial officer" yet.

True, there's less to do when you put a Glock into action (no manual safeties to manipulate/bungle). However, in the unlikely situation your piece gets snatched, a manual safety is likely to give you a split second to recover the weapon.

For what thats it's worth. I agree with the others, shoot them all one after the other on the same afternoon and then take your favorite home. Don't sweat the capacity issue.

Other things to consider:

- always carry a spare mag, and the M36 and Kimber mags will be alot easier to tote than the M30.

- IWB carry will be more comfy with the Kimber or the 36. If you're going to pack all day, every day this might be worth considering. One of my few wishes for my Model 29 is that it were a hair thinner. The 36 is a hair thinner. Then again, plenty of people have little or no discomfort/problem with the thickness of the 29/30.

I posted some observations recently on 'packing the Glock M29' in this forum, I'd think most of those thoughts would apply to the 30 as well.

Good luck and it's all 6 one way and a half-dozen the other from here on out! :)

- gabe

PS: If you get one and then pine for another later, where's the harm in that? Just grab the other one when the coffers fill back up. :)

Personally, I like the 1911.

But, they can be heavy compared to the Glock's. If weight is not a problem, then I would go to the range and shoot both, see which one you shoot better, then carry that one.

Back