selling remington 870

Huh12345

I am not very experienced with guns and I have only been into it for 3 or 4 years and my knowledge on selling and value is in essence none nonexistent. I have a remington 870 express 20 gauge i picked up a few years ago and I used it for trap shooting and what not, but have not really found a need for it any longer as I have a Rem 1187 12 gauge and I really really enjoy that gun and don't shoot enough to need a second shotgun. I would like to sell the 870 but am unaware of a few things. Where is the best place to have it sold? (or what method would I receive the most money) I am aware that an 870 express isn't even worth much brand new let alone used, but it is is perfect condition (with the exception of a little dust) and the only modification I have had done is a second bead sight on it for trap shooting. It has 750-1000 rounds through it at most, so given these perimeters, about how much could I expect to get for it?

The best place in order to maximize money would be face to face locally. If you have trap/skeet or other gun clubs in your area, post a WTS ad on their bulletin board.

As to how much - the real answer is - it all depends. Where you are versus where I am, for example, might mean a world of difference. You can look online at various selling sites like GunBroker and and similar - just realize you need to look at closed auctions to see what they really sold for. It also depends on how fast you need to move it. If you need rent money today, your price will be lower; if it isn't a big deal and you can wait, then ask for more. YOU, as the seller, can always go down in price.

Good luck!

Another possibility is that many local gun dealers offer to sell guns for you as a consignment.
You tell him what you want for the gun and he adds his profit on and sells it for you.

In the case of a used Express, you're going to have to want to sell it rather cheap because the difference between a used Express and a new Express is close.

As above posting it for sale on a gun range board, or taking it to a gun show and selling it there are options.
Sometimes local newspapers or small community for sale or trade papers allow advertising guns.

That gun is $289 at Walmart with a $50 rebate right now. Used guns usually bring no more than 75% of what someone could buy the same gun for new. That means $150-$175.

I'd just keep it.

I have a 5 year old express and would sell it, but to me what I could get for it isn't worth its value as a home defense gun and an extra for guests.

Back