Selling and shipping?

lagavulin62

As the title states I want to sell some of my handguns. I am not an FFL-1. How is the best way to go about this? I know I can only ship to an FFL I have a copy of license to. But everything else unsure. What is the best carrier, insurance, etc.

Make sure the receiving FFL will accept private party transfers. Some will want a copy of DL as well. Not all FFL's will send a copy of their license to a non FFl. They will give you the last 5 numbers & you can look them up online to verify.

I only ship thru my LGS. Pack stuff up & let them handle it + it's cheaper for me.

If you can get a local FFL to agree, you can use a copy of their license in the
shipping papers and send it to the buyer's FFL. I have such an agreement,
although I don't abuse it, only one or two a year. If you offer a payment,
I would think a lot of FFL's would be ok with such an agreement. Also, you can use USPS medium flat rate box, which is a hell of a lot cheaper than FEDEX or UPS.

OP, the second sticky from the top is a shipping firearms FAQ I wrote years ago.
Most of it is still valid except for FedEx. They no longer accept firearms for shipment unless you hold an FFL and are enrolled in their shipping program.

I highly recommend finding a local dealer to ship them for you. He can use USPS and the cost is cheaper than UPS Next Day or FedEx Overnight.

Bud's Shipmyguns is an option but be sure you read that agreement and instructions carefully. I beat that services pricing every time and so can your local FFL.

L. Boscoe Also, you can use USPS medium flat rate box, which is a hell of a lot cheaper than FEDEX or UPS.
Which is a federal felony.

Only licensed dealers and manufacturers can mail firearms other than rifles or shotguns.

L. Boscoe said:
If you can get a local FFL to agree, you can use a copy of their license in the shipping papers and send it to the buyer's FFL. I have such an agreement, although I don't abuse it, only one or two a year. If you offer a payment,
I would think a lot of FFL's would be ok with such an agreement.
I can't imagine an FFL agreeing to this. The law is that an FFL can ship a handgun by USPS. It doesn't say that you or I can ship a handgun by USPS if we stick a copy of some FFL's license in the box.

Also, you can use USPS medium flat rate box, which is a hell of a lot cheaper than FEDEX or UPS.
As Dogtown Tom has already mentioned, only FFLs can ship handguns by USPS.

OP, the second sticky from the top is a shipping firearms FAQ I wrote years ago.
Most of it is still valid except for FedEx. They no longer accept firearms for shipment unless you hold an FFL and are enrolled in their shipping program.

I highly recommend finding a local dealer to ship them for you. He can use USPS and the cost is cheaper than UPS Next Day or FedEx Overnight.

Bud's Shipmyguns is an option but be sure you read that agreement and instructions carefully. I beat that services pricing every time and so can your local FFL.
Dogtown, I do like the option of using an ffl to ship. I am inquiring with some locals now. If you dont mind my asking how much are they generally charging in addition to shipping costs?

As an FFL, I often have customers ask me to ship firearms for them. It is usually cheaper than them doing it themselves, and many dealers will not receive firearms shipped to them from private parties. I receive the firearm onto my books (owner, address, firearm type, manufacturer, caliber) and transfer it to a receiving FFL from my FFL firearms log books. It is a traceable transfer.

It is my understanding (and that of the BATFE agent I asked) that you cannot just drop guns off at your local FFL already boxed and ready to go. Your FFL is taking possession of the firearm, so he needs to log it into his books. I have to do this by law whenever a firearm is left at my shop for more than 24 hours, as I am certifying that the source, serial number and description of the firearm is accurate.

As far as how to sell the firearms, talk to your local FFL and either sell them to the FFL or put them on consignment. Many dealers will put a consigned gun on one of the online firearm auction sites as a matter of fact.

Scorch, selling at a dealer's shop on consignment is a great idea. I have recently liquidated a large estate, in part, buy doing just that. Everything above board and by the book.

Back