Selling a handgun in Arizona?

GLP Standard

I'm about to get rid of my 1911 to a local guy in Arizona, and I was just wondering, what does the law state about selling a handgun to a private individual in the state of Arizona? I'm pretty sure that no documentation or permit is required in this state (same as North Carolina where I moved here from) but im not sure because Ive never bought a firearm in this state.

How do you make sure the buyer isnt a convicted felon?

What steps should I take when selling the weapon? Im going to write up a contract, basically stating that hes taken ownership of the weapon..what else can I do?

You can either sell it through an FFL like many people do... but personally I would just ensure that I had all of the fellows information INCLUDING a photocopy of the driver's license photo identification AND most importantly his license/permit for a handgun. No license/permit - no deal. There are plenty enough customers for a handgun out there to pass on dealing with anyone that you feel is shady.

I would call my local sheriff just to make sure that there are not any local or state laws that need to be adhered to. I know that if buying from a dealer in most states you must be a resident for thirty days. I also believe that buying privately changes some of these rules.

Be safe. Be sure.
Arizona laws have recently changed as well.

AZ says it's on you to determine if he's a prohibited possesor or not. Toronotogunguy, we have no licenses or permits to buy or own here in FreeAZ, the only thing we have is a shall issue CCW permit, which is poised to go lifetime, and open carry is legal, as well. Our laws change for the better each year. We have state prememption, so your local and county laws/ordinances cannot be more restrictive than the state. If you want true legal advice, go find an attorney, or call Legal Aid. The book Atrizona gun Woners' Guide is a great peice of work, find the latest one. Do NOT ask a gunshop commando, they know less than nothing.
If your prospective customer has a CCW permit, ask for a copy of that and DL, plus a signed bill of sale. If you truely don't feel comfortable, don't do it! Go consign at a local gunshop.

Bingo. There you go and that hits the nail right on the head. If you don't feel comfy... consign it through a local gunshop. Laws do seem to vary considerably state to state. I note that in one state the gun owners association has posted a 'standard bill of sale' on their website.. fill in the blanks and both parties sign. As I recall it was essentially a statement that the buyer was legally able to purchase the gun and a copy of identification (drivers license). I do believe that the law dictates that a buyer must be a resident of the state of purchase for some period of time... but as previously said, ask 5 people what the rules are and you are going to get 6 answers.

^I believe and trust you, I just wanted to make sure I knew the laws before I did something illegal. I figured it was very similar to NC, but I just wanted to make sure.

Back