Sell Sig 229 to buy HKP7M8?

tlhelmer

I am agonizing over this decision. A wife imposed restriction requires I sell a NIB Sig 229 if I want to buy an HK P7M8.
Are they work it? I have several large handguns and would use the HK for Off-Duty carry.
opinions from owners would be helpful.

I have both, and whyle I carry mostly P7M8, Sig 229 is one of my most favorite guns. You have 3 guns in one, all just a matter of changing barrel, 9mm, 40SW and .357Sig.
I would talk her into both, or you might just open a separate chequing account. At least that's what I have.
Besides the "family" budget, I have a separate account which I use for my own purpouses. I do not inform anyone what I do with the money I have there.

Speaking for myself, I don't care for the squeeze cocker at all. I'll trupmet the accuracy of the P7, but I just can't use them.

I owned a Sig P239, and loved it. I've shot the P229, and love it as well. I'd keep it.

And from my own personal perspective, I wouldn't advise following in oktagon's footsteps on the secondary account. That's a recipe for disaster, in my opinion.

If your wife is imposing such a rule I would reserve 1 space in your collection to be your "rotation gun". Get the P7 and if you don't like it or see something else you like then you can trade it in for something else. That way you'll stay within your wife's guidelines and own different guns.

Expensive, but if you really want to own certain guns at least once I guess thats one way you can go. But sell a Sig P229? I think you should think about it a little longer. And the squeeze cocker is unique so do try it out and see if it works for you.

If you have a household budget, just make room in the budget for the P7. You won't get what you paid for the P229, so unless you just don't care either way hold onto the P229.

What reason does your wife have for this "wife imposed restriction"? Do you have a similar "husband imposed restriction" on her love of jewelry or shoes (or whatever hobby she has)?

I have a "hobby account" much like what oktagon suggests, as does my dad. It is not some secret "slush fund", rather it is money that I decide what to spend it on without discussion. I earned the money, the bills are paid and if I want to buy a gun I use the money from this account. If I don't have enough in the account to get what I want, I wait until I do. No secrets, no deceit, just no committee meeting. That's the way a household budget is supposed to work. Maintaining a separate account removes the chance for a miscalculation, or shortsighted impulse. This also keeps arguments from occurring.

Also, there is no reason that both parties cannot have their own "hobby account" in the household budget.

Perhaps totally off topic, but thanks for the explanation blade67. Makes a LOT of sense...

I think it's time to rethink the way finances are done around here :D

the hk p7 is one of the finest handguns made,:cool: unbelievablely accurate and user friendly...also one of the safest guns made.

i have worn my 220 or 226 on and off duty for the last 15 years and both are very accurate too. we were issued the 229 in .40 but i gave mine back because of the strange recoil :barf: heavy and short slide.

the p7 is like the colt python, just better beyond ration reason :p

I'm like you

I'm thinking of selling my P226 to finance my third P7M8. However, the more I think about it the more I realize that I'll kick myself in the keister if I do. So.... I'm saving up for the P7 and the Sig will stay with me.

Never sell that P-226. Just save up for the HK secretly and tell the wife later. If she finds the P7 someday, you can say you didn't know you had it. I'm not married, so I just get what I want when I want it.

I have both a SIG 229 and HK. If one had to go, it would be the HK (regrettably). As already mentioned, you have several guns in one with the HK. Plus, I'm a big 357 SIG fan.

And ditto on the his/her hobby accounts. Nothing secret. Pay your bills and pay each other so each has money to splurge with. When I started this, I found my wife loved seeing her account swell with the money. She actually became more frugal! Amazing.

Well, when I bought my P7, the lady's condition was that I buy her a P225 at the same time. Does that count?

If I had to choose, I would get the HK, especially for carry. But why would I have to choose?

Back