Sell Beretta Tomcat for KelTec P32 - Good Move?

JMB

I'm thinking of selling my Beretta Tomcat to buy a KelTec P32. I've had many problems with my Tomcat in the past. The first one I had disassembled itself in my fathers hands while he was shooting it. Then that same day, the firing pin broke. Sent it to Beretta and they replaced the entire pistol. This one can't get through a box of 50 rounds from any ammo manufacturer without jamming. Plus the firing pin shot out the back end of the slide once. It too was sent to Beretta and "repaired" but it still jams consistently. Plus, it's awfully thick to fit in the front pocket of a pair of jeans.

I really like what I see with the KelTec P32. It's MUCH thinner and lighter than my Tomcat, locked-breach action, and has a trigger pull that seems to be more akin to my Glock, making it a better back-up weapon. However, I've never seen any in my area, so I am unable to know for sure if it's all that people say it is.

Could any of you who have experience with the P32 give me your impressions of the pistol. Would I be making a good move to unload the Tomcat in favor of the KelTec? Thanks in advance for the comments.

In my often-and-loudly stated opinion, P32 is the best mousegun out there...on par with 1911A1 as compared to its contemporary C96 Mauser or Webley autoloaders. I have owned a P32 for awhile and am very happy that I waited for it instead of getting a Tomcat/Baby Browning/Colt Jr./Guardian/Seecamp/etc. - the reliability and light recoil of delayed blowback...and the tiny size/light weight are phenomenal. In fact, I do plan to buy more of those for family members.

One caveat, they do require practice greater than .38 snubbie would.

------------------
Oleg

http://dd-b.net/RKBA

I just purchased the little Kel-Tec last week. The gun shop I stopped in had received 4 a day or two before and I got the last one, along with a spare mag. Brought it home and fired a box of FMJ Fiochi without a drop of oil being applied first. No failures.
Next day went through box of Winchester FMJ and no problems in feeding. Toward the end of 2nd session the slide didn't want to go to full battery when pulling it back and letting it go to chamber a round. Just a small push with the thumb and it was fine. I also purchased JHP ammo and staggered this ammo with FMJ through several mags, firing the FMJ, allowing the gun to cycle to see if it would feed the JHP. I would then take the JHP out and chamber the next FMJ and fire it, on and on. This way I could let the expensive JHP ammo function 3 or 4 times before shooting it up to see if it was going to function. Of course if you do this you want to examine each round closely to see that the bullet is not getting loose and cause a preasure problem, and then fire them at the end of the session. Anyway, bottom line is no failures to feed yet. Shoots to point of aim. Sights are not much but of course not much needed for this weapon. Trigger pull very good for this size weapon. I will probably buy another for the wife at some point. It carries nicely in pocket holster in pants pocket or in coat pocket. But so far - totally reliable. Will have to shoot it more to know for sure.

While the Tomcat is arguably a good design, it is heavy and surprisingly hard to conceal -- being wide and heavy enough to tug a pocket down.

I've had two -- the first replaced by the factory after about 1000 rounds. Both were disasters, but both were among the early production models when the gun was first produced. Many broken firing pins, despite my use of snap caps, etc.

If the bugs are worked out, the Tomcat is a good gun, but I suspect the P-32 is a better design, being locked breech. (This allows it to shoot a wider variety of ammo and hotter ammo, if that becomes available.)

I have a Kel-Tec P-11, and its a good gun.

I personally think the .32 acp is just not enough round for self defense, but many will disagree with me... and there are some statistics which show that .32 silvertips do as good a job as many larger caliber rounds.

I'll stick to my P-11 or Star Firestar M40.

I'll agree with Walt here. I'm not convinced that Beretta didn't do enough testing prior to releasing the Tomcat into the market. For the price and size, I would carry a different .32.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

The weak points of Tomcat that P32 solves are:

-bulk
-poor reliability
-very stiff slide which is hard to rack if malfunction occurs

The other way to go, if you can deal with P32 size is to get a .380 or an airweight .38 -- but I did find that they weight at least twice of the P32 and that is not good :(

Well, I went into the gunshop today to sell my Beretta Tomcat and then have them order me a KelTec P32. I was looking through the "mousegun" display case, and lo and behold it's a KelTec P32 on the bottom shelf looking up at me. So, I gave it a look. Damn, that thing is SMALL and LIGHT and THIN. Magazine articles cannot do this pistol justice with regards to it's size. Due to the locked-breach action, you can actually rack the slide (unlike the Beretta), and the trigger is very smooth. I will be picking it up on Wednesday, and I think it'll make a great companion to my Glock 9mm's.

Since you have decided to get the P32 this is a mute point, but thought I would add some
confidence to your decision. I have one myself, and am exceptionally pleased.It is reliable with all ammo, and I reccomend buying the pocket clip as an extra option.
It makes it super easy to carry.
Hope you enjoy it!

I would like to add my vote and reccomend buying the pocket clip. It allows me to carry with my shirt tucked in. It looks like i am carring a Clip knive. The draw back is that it is not an easy or fast presentation.

------------------
TOUJOURS PRET
Swamprat

[This message has been edited by Swamprat (edited December 13, 1999).]

More suggestions:

Get lots of Fiocchi FMJ for real use and S&B FMJ for practice.

Learn to fire it by pointing...then learn to shoot it fast. I found that inserting the finger further into the trigger guard than with other guns, I could hold onto it easier on rapid fire.

Got to www.ktog.org and find link for holsters by Jack Fusilier...best I have seen, custom made for P32. I have been frisked while wearing that and people thought nothing of the bulge...wallet maybe, or a notepad.

Practice a lot. I am glad I bought some crappy ammo which wouldn't go bang because that's the only way to practice clearing jams. The gun is too damn reliable otherwise.

Do rotate ammo often. With anything you carry , esp. so small a gun, lint and other junk can enter. OTOH, the design is very Glock-like in its reliability.

Lastly, I'd recommend depressing magazine catch when loading the gun...to save wear on the mag catch.

Congratulations on your purchase. IMO, it is one of the great designs like 1911, Colt Diamondback, Glock, etc.

------------------
Oleg

http://dd-b.net/RKBA

Gotta agree. A co worker owned a Tomcat and traded. He got his wife a P-32 and she really loves it. I own a P-32 and carry mine when I cannot carry the P-11. Very nice gun as I have stated many, many times in the past.

I bought one of the first ones to come in at the local shop. The mag catch is plastic while the Mec-gar mag is metal. The mag chewed up the mag catch and Keltec replaced it. There was then a problem w/ the frame
flexing and the trigger spring disconnecting,
rendering it unusable. Again, Keltec replaced
it and it has been fine since. I had some
doubts about some bugs needing to be worked out at first, but hopefully it will be OK.
It's a great little desing but it REALLY needs a metal mag catch. Do depress the mag
catch when installing the mag. It will save
you this experience. Glad to hear others
experiences were good.

Dave

I just sold my Tomcat to pay for the Keltec that replaced it. I must state I had NO PROBLEMS with the Tomcat. 100% reliable and head shots at 15 yds. I just wanted a smaller envelope for the .32. If someone would come out with a steel slide aluminum Colt .32 clone I would buy it.

Cheers,

ts

ok, yeah, it is pointless to say this now, but... If you want to replace a gun that you have had THAT much trouble with, DO! No matter what you buy (almost anyway) it can't be much worse than what you describe... even being a Beretta fan I would have dropped that gun like a bad habit! ...and the P32 sounds great, what could I expect to pay for something like that? I was looking into a carry gun lately as my next purchase.
In defense of MY Beretta (Stainless 92FS)... I don't think I will EVER sell that gun, no matter what comes out! I love that damn thing... feels great in my hand (i have big hands though) LOVE IT!

Beretta Boy,

My P32 cost $236 here in Minnesota. It's the blued version. I think there is a hard chromed version too, but I don't know if they're out yet. Beretta Tomcats are going for $295. NAA Guardians go for around $400.

I still can't get over how thin and light this P32 is! I can't wait to shoot it to see how the locked breach action tames the recoil, despite the light weight. Sights kinda suck though. But seeing as how this is intended to be a "face to face" gun, I'll just get used to them. I might paint the front sight orange or something.

No opinion on the Tomcat but I my P-32 is sweet. Only has a few hundred rounds through it but not a single problem of any type. Get the clip for ease of carry. It is so light & thin, you forget you have it on. Still don't like the caliber but it's better than having nothing.

How often are you folks carrying these P32s and in what form - pocket holster, clip?

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter

I carry mine using the clip when sitting. I carry in my back pocket behind a nylon wallet. No printing, clip keeps the gun real low in the waistband. Great little gun.

------------------
So many a'holes-- so few bullets!------
Ford Fairlane

I meant to say, I carry in my back pocket behind a nylon wallet when I am not sitting or when the clip and stuff will show.

I don't carry mine but if I had to, front pocket carry with Jack Fusiliers leather holster would be the way ($15). Would look like a wallet yet accessible.

Back