Self Defense loads for Glock 9mm

• Thread starter Thread starter EJ
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

EJ

Inactive
I am a newly registered user on this site and want to thank all of you for the many helpful pointers I have picked up in this forum, although this is my first post. I recently bought a new G19 and have taken it to the range several times and am getting comfortable with it. I'm now ready to use it as my main self defense weapon at home.

I've come across some research that indicates that MagSafe 68 grain +p loads have the least incapacitation time (4.7 sec) and greatest percent of one shot stops (91%) of any 9mm ammo. Do you agree? Does anyone have experience with this ammo? How well does it work in the Glock?

Any suggestions on other comparable self defense ammo.

I've also heard that it's suggested to have some good hollowpoints for better penetration below a handful of the MagSafe's in your clip. How do you load your magazines for home defense? I live in a townhome with a lot of neighbors, so I am concerned with not shooting neighbors while trying to incapacitate a BG.

I currently have Winchester Silvertip 115gr hollowpoints in my Glock, but I haven't had a chance to test fire this ammo at the range yet. Any experience with this ammo? My main concern is reliability.

Where can I buy MagSafes? I went to the Western Gun Show in Pomona, CA this weekend--billed as world's largest gun show and could not find MagSafe anywere. I've also checked a number of local gun shops. Any place on the net to buy this ammo? Is there some reason it's not widely available? Thanks for the help.

Can't help you with your magsafe question but I use 124gr +P Gold dots in my 9mm's if you need to use a frangible you may wish to look at Triton Cartridges CQD load here is a link to their website www.Triton-ammo.com Glad to hear you are thinking of your neighbors G.R. :)

Good deal on your decision to take responsibility for your own safety, and good choice in the Glock 19. It has been my own choice the past couple years, along with the G26.

There are various schools of thought with regard to personal defense ammo, and considerations from THERE with regard to carrying outside of the home as well as a load for within the home. My own search for "answers" to the same sort of questions you are posing has revealed that there is some truth in what a lot of authorities are saying, and in what different ballistic research and anecdotal compilations show. The challenge is to analyaze all that information and, ultimately, make your own choices.

One good source of ammo information, in my opinion, can be found at:
http://www.firearmstactical.com/tactical.htm

There's even an article posted on Magsafe, I noticed.

By the way, I believe adults can legally purchase Magsafe ammo, if you settle upon that load, via mail order directly from the manufacturer in Florida, 1-800-578-9668. Generally it is required when buying mail-order ammo that the purchaser fax their driver license and a signed note stating that they are of legal age. This may be restricted by laws in some states.

My own current choices? For outside the home, Remington Golden Saber 124 gr. +P in the G19; Cor-Bon 115 gr. +P in the shorter-barreled G26. Both of these are jacketed hollowpoints. As far as a home defense load, I have similar concerns about excess penetration and so, for the G19, have the Glaser Safety Slugs +P "Silver" load. These, like the Magsafe, have a pre-fragmented projectile.

I should mention that you need to run the specific type of defense ammo through your gun before you settle upon a loading, to make sure it feeds reliably in your firearm. Glocks, perhaps more than any other handgun, seem to digest 'em all with vigor. The "litmus test" round count I've been told is 200. (That is a prohibitive expense for most people with regard to the very expensive frangible loads such as Glaser and Magsafe. Nonetheless, if you go that route, be sure to test fire enough to be confident!)

YMMV, blah, blah blah. Good luck,

------------------
mib61

[This message has been edited by mib61 (edited November 03, 1999).]

Go here http://glocktalk.com/ and check out the web site. They have a Calbier Corner with all kinds of good info on ammo. Plus if you search the site you will come up with some really good ammo tests.

Personally I keep CorBon 115gr +p+ in our Beretta 9mm. But am thinking about checking out Proload's 124gr ammo.

If you buy a good quality round in the 115 to 124gr. weight from Corbon, Triton, Remington Golden Saber, Federal Hydrashock or Federals 9bp load you should be well served. Also Gold Dot's are very good.

I like the 124 gr.+P Gold Dots. I would stay away from the "gimmick" rounds - Magsafe etc.
Penetration is what is important.Bonded core bullets tend to retain more weight. The standard velocity Gold Dots are fine for barrels 4" and longer. For the shorter barrels use the +P load. Try to carry the same round your local LEs use. It might be helpful if you have to face a jury.

For comparison, in gel after heavy cloth:

Speer 9mm 124 Gold Dot, 16/.54

Speer 9mm 124 +P GD, 20.25/.53

Speer 357 SIG 125 GD, 19/.54

Rem 9mm 124 GS, 12.7/.60

Rem 9mm 124 +P GS, 14/.60

Fed 9mm 124 HS, 13/.60

Win 9mm 115 Silvertip, 11.8/.58

------------------
>>>>---->

Thanks everyone for the input.
I hate to sound stupid, but BrokenArrow can you explain what the numbers in your post mean? ie. 16/.54?? Is that 16 inches of penetration? then what is the second number?

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back