self defense gun books??

wf1989

Inactive
Ive got several books on the subject ,so far ive got the book of two guns,green eyes black rifles,stayin the fight . Im looking for something covering pistol and carbine handling,mindset etc. .i was looking at getting both "farnams method of defensive pistol" and "farnams method of defensive rifle" or combative fundamentals by jeff gonzales. I already know books dont replace live instruction but im looking for more reading material

There are several good books and videos from Massad Ayoob. I have a few and can say he is no nonsense. Most of his books deal with handguns, shotguns and the legal system. Being a retired police Captain I imagine he has seen more than we can even think of. Check him out.

" Guns, Bullets & Gunfights, Tales from a Modern Day Gunfighter " -- by Jim Cirillo, a highly decorated NYPD officer, who worked in a special detail, and had the dubious honor of bieng in the most gunfights in the NYPD. A great book.

My favorite 3 are:

Armed Response by David Kenik
The Perfect Pistol Shot by Albert League
Surgical Speed Shooting by Andy Stanford

And another good one is Gun Digest Shooters Guide to Handgun Marksmanship
by Peter Lessler.

Books on firearms self defense

RECOMMENDED READING FOR THE ARMED CITIZEN:

THE STREET-SMART GUN BOOK by John. S. Farnam

THE FARNAM METHOD OF DEFENSIVE HANDGUNNING
by John. S. Farnam

THE FARNAM METHOD OF DEFENSIVE SHOTGUN & RIFLE SHOOTING
by John S. Farnam
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IN THE GRAVEST EXTREME: THE ROLE OF THE FIREARM IN PERSONAL PROTECTION (1980) by Massad F. Ayoob

THE TRUTH ABOUT SELF PROTECTION (1984) by Massad F. Ayoob

THE GUN DIGEST BOOK OF COMBAT HANDGUNNERY (5th edition 2002) and (6th edition 2007) by Massad F. Ayoob

THE GUN DIGEST BOOK OF CONCEALED CARRY (1st edition 2008) by
Massad F. Ayoob

STRESSFIRE (1984) by Massad Ayoob

STRESSFIRE II: Advanced Combat Shotgun (1982) by Massad F. Ayoob

THE SEMI-AUTOMATIC PISTOL IN POLICE SERVICE AND SELF DEFENSE (1988)
By Massad F. Ayoob
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IN SELF DEFENSE by Mike Izumi
ARMED RESPONSE by David S. Kenik
THE LAW OF SELF DEFENSE: A GUIDE FOR THE ARMED CITIZEN by Andrew F. Branca
FIGHTING SMARTER by Tom Givens

SURVIVAL SHOOTING by Tom Givens
DEFENSIVE USE OF FIREARMS by Stephen P. Wenger
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------CONCEALED CARRY FUNDAMENTALS by Michael Martin (2010)
DEFENSIVE HANDGUNNING: A Treatise on Handgun Carry and Use
By Glenn Rehberg (2007) (Rehberg works for the Wis Dept of Justice)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------THE CONCEALED CARRY SURVIVAL GUIDE by Bill Murphy, Eric Magness,
John Thomas Design and Michael S. Carona (2007)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------UNDERSTANDING THE USE OF HANDGUNS FOR SELF DEFENSE by David Nash (2011)

This is a pretty comprehensive list but I haven't updated it since late 2011 either so that's a project for me to do sometime soon

I have the books by Massad Ayoob that were written in the 1980s. Although some of the fundamental information is timeless, a lot of the information that centers around technology is outdated. Other than strictly technical books about firearms that you own or plan to own, I wouldn't bother with any book that has a copyright date before 2000, and probably more like 2008.

In the event you, or someone reading this, needs something pertaining to revolvers Grant Cunningham is a reliable source for all things revolvers.

Back