self defense for handicapped person

charliek

Inactive
I''m 77 and recently confined to a wheel chair. Thinking about defending myself since i'm not mobile and trying to decide which of my guns too keep in reach.. Buying a new gun is not possible for economic and mobility reasons so I'm trying to choose among what is on hand. I have Colt government model 380. With modern ammunition does that sound like a good choice?

If that's what you have to work with, it sounds like a great choice to me. It will sure beat a steak knife............

Any ammo that works reliably in YOUR gun would be the best choice. Try a few different ones and see how they do

Sure, that will work. But you said you had "guns" as in plural ---- what other options do you have ??

Sometimes the slides on these .380's can be stiff and difficult to manipulate....can you rack this colt successfully, clear malfunctions if necessary....??

As far as ammo .....you'll have to test a few brands ....or ask a buddy to go to range and test it for you....

Is your Colt well broken in ? Also what revolvers do you have ? I tend somewhat more to those, less to fiddle with under stress.

I hope one of your other guns is a 38 snub nose, I'd use that loaded with 158 wad cutters. They do nasty stuff to baddies.

Cocked and locked and always within' your reach I would say it's a great choice. Single action will probably be a lot more accurate for aging hands. Much better choice than any double action revolver if you ask me.

When the OP replys on what he has ...in terms of other guns / and how strong his hands are we can make another recommendation...

But a double action revolver...can be easily fired single action, as long as he can cock the hammer.

I little revolver in 38 special sounds good too no slide to rack. I'm 65yo and after having cancer I find the pistol slides a little tough to rack. My cancer is in remission and my strength is coming back but I'm looking ahead to the future when I'm older. I wish I purchased a browning BAR in 338wm instead of the Remington 700 bolt action. Semi auto rifles are better when we're older.

Please be sure you have a concealed carry permit. I cannot believe that the authorities would give you a pass for just a disability.
willr

Back