self-defense courses

dnr1128

I'm wanting to take some classes on self-defense. where do I start looking? Are there any traveling classes offered in different locations around the country?

Check with your local shooting range/club. I'm sure they either offer something of the sort, or they know where to find it.

I'm wanting to take some classes on self-defense. where do I start looking? Are there any traveling classes offered in different locations around the country?
www.suarezinternational.com has instructors in or close by to most states. Their Introduction To Defensive Pistol (IDP) or Defensive Pistol Skills (DPS) are geared toward beginners.

They are usually presented over a one or two-day weekend, approximately 10hrs each day.
Check out http://www.thearmedcitizen.com/ and guess how many of THOSE people had specialized training.
That doesn't mean that they couldn't have benefited by taking such classes. It's quite possible they could have learned skills to have never even been in those situations.

Check out Massad Ayood's schedule at http://massadayoobgroup.com/, He has basic classes coming up in Nebraska, Washington State, Tennessee, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Florida and Arizona over the remainder of 2010.

I heartily recommend Mas' classes. And if you can swing only one class, his basic class is an excellent choice. AFAIK, no one else covers the legal and social side of the use of force as thoroughly or as authoritatively as he does.

fiddletown wrote: "How would you know how much, or how little, training and practice many of them had?"

Well, just figure that out of a population of 300MIL people it goes without saying that only a small fraction of a single per cent have ever had specialized training in civilian self defense using a gun (military training is OFFENSIVE in nature).

go to magpuldynamics.com and look up their schedules for dynamic handgun/carbine/shotgun. everything from beginner to advanced. at the very least, order some SD videos. it's a lot cheaper than paying for a course. i've never tried but sometimes local police depts do self defense courses no?

HoraceHogsnort said:
fiddletown said:
How would you know how much, or how little, training and practice many of them had?

Well, just figure that out of a population of 300MIL people it goes without saying that only a small fraction of a single per cent have ever had specialized training in civilian self defense using a gun
In other words, you're just guessing.

We're not talking about the population as a whole. We talking only about that small sample of people whose successful management of a violent encounter has been reported on the website you linked to.

at the very least, order some SD videos.
DVD/Videos are good, and so are books.

But I've learned more in the last three years (10 classes) from professional instruction than the last 20 years of being taught by various home media.

smince said:
...But I've learned more in the last three years (10 classes) from professional instruction than the last 20 years of being taught by various home media.
You can't really top in person instruction.

A book - it's like a Kindle that lasts forever without batteries. Less capacity though.

BWAHAHAHA!!!
big

Good instructors, top level training, good gear & tactics..

This subject comes up often on many firearms/tactics forums.
In short, I'd save up the $$$ or spend/plan wisely with top level instructors & programs. Don't waste your time or $$$ with poser nitwits or mall ninjas AKA: keyboard commandos. ;)
Research top schools like the SIG Sauer Academy, the S&W programs, Massad Ayoob Group, Thunder Ranch, Front Site, Trident Concepts: Jeff Gonzales(check spelling). Check backgrounds, state issued licenses(and/or business complaints-consumer issues). A well run firearms or tactics program should be professional, safe and well organized. Avoid the wear & tear schools too. I've seen a few of these jokers/classes first hand. :(
If you have military or public safety $$$ to repair or replace weapons & gear then go to these places. I don't see the point of pounding & breaking guns. I had a K/firearms instructor about 8 years ago tell my training class; "you have to work firearms hard and pound the controls." This guy was a former US Army SF-SOF soldier who even the school's mgr said was highly unstable.
If you can't get formal skill training, buy a few DVDs & books. Clint Smith Kelly McCann, Massad Ayoob, Jeff Cooper, John Farham, etc have detailed books and offer practical advice for citizens & sworn LE officers.

Finally, if you want to take local courses, take one or two classes or workshops and get a feel for the program. If you learn a lot and it helps, take other classes. A few US gun writers as a industry standard do not critique or dispute training classes. Word of mouth and + student feedback are best.

Back