self defense 9mm ammo

The two I can vouch for first hand are Federal 147grain hydra-shock and Speer Gold Dot
124 grain GDHP.

I have 124gr Federal HST. All the tests I've seen HST comes out at or near the top in performance. I might switch to 147gr but there's really no need to.

I like 147 gr. JHPs for two reasons: 1) They're a little more efficient out of a short barrel, and 2) They penetrate a little more reliably than lighter bullets.

Defensive handguns are all pea-shooters and there's no "magic bullet", so make sure you have a load that will penetrate far enough and then make sure you place those rounds well. Sure, a 124 gr. +P JHP might expand more, but that extra expansion doesn't necessarily translate into greater effectiveness. But if that round doesn't penetrate far enough to hit vitals, it will definitely be less effective than another round that does.

But it really doesn't make much difference what round you pick. Shot placement matters far more than anything else. So pick a load that doesn't have too much recoil or muzzle blast and you're good to go.

I like 147 gr. JHPs for two reasons: 1) They're a little more efficient out of a short barrel, and 2) They penetrate a little more reliably than lighter bullets.
Pretty much.

I like heavier expanding bullets, to ensure they penetrate adequately. The down side, is that a 147 could generate slightly more recoil than a 115 or 124 grain.

A good 147 grain JHP at 900-1100fps, is pretty much an ideal SD pistol round, IMO.

Also be aware many people don't like 147's because of their reputation DECADES ago, when the 147 grain bullets didn't expand as reliably as they do now which is why many people opted for a 124 grain bullet. With current manufactured ammo there should be no real difference in reliability of expansion.

Speer gold dot
Winn Ranger T series
Fed HST

only 3 kinds of SD ammo i will ever use. they perform the best in my personal testing. for 9mm i use 124 GR HP +P where i can +p+ is not nessesary

Hornaday XTP 147 grain , 1050 fps. It also has the little plastic tip to help with penetration through clothing before it expands. They're around $1@ rnd

Speer Gold Dot

I'm a big fan of Speer Gold Dot 124's.

They make two different types; a standard pressure (23618), and a +P (23617).

Through a Kahr CW9, 3.7"bbl:
Std pressure: 1048 fps; 302ft/lb
+P pressure: 1182 fps; 384 ft/lb

And I have fired them taking turns back-n-forth with each-other. The +P's do have noticeably more recoil. It's subtle, but definitely noticeable.

Since shot placement is far and away most important, either one would be a great choice.

124gr Gold Dots in my Sig.

1EOE7Ynh.jpg

I carry the Speer Gold Dot 124Grain +P Short Barrel HP in my Shield. This bullet had good reports back when I was trying to decide, and my Shield feeds them flawlessly.

Any premium defense round should work just fine.

I prefer the Hornady Critical Duty +P 135 gr. It is easy to get in this area and works very well in my SR9c:D

Most important is to find a defense load that is accurate and functions well in your particular gun.:D

Back