Self defence ammo for 357mag

Bluefish

Inactive
Moving back to civilization,bought a security 6 4" barrel for house,car ,and woods carry.Been out of the handgun loop for about 5 years,looking for self defence round and around for woods carry.Please bring me up to date on the best stuff around.Also,what factory ammo kicks the hardest?I love recoil! Thank you,Bluefish

If you like recoil, you'll love the 125 grain hollowpoint. Actually, it's not so much the recoil as the muzzle blast that's ferocious. If you buy into "One-Stop Shot" theories, that's the best handgun round there is. The 158 grain hollowpoint is good if you want penetration. Lot of people like the middleweights, like the 145 grain Silvertip. I'm also partial to the 110 grain hollowpoint. Hits hard and is easy to shoot, although it does have a pretty bright muzzle flash.

Lots of selection out there. The last few years i've been using 125 gr. Corbons and Winchester Silvertips. Thet both give a bit of kick in my Taurus 617 2 1/2" barrel.

I use the Federal Premium 125 gr. JHP for defensive use, but the Cor-Bon 125's produce about 50 fps more velocity and a heckofalot more recoil in may S&W M-640.

If power and recoil are what you want, in factory ammo, the Cor-Bon 180 gr. LFN is unbeatable. Talk about a penetrator!!!!!!!!! What a handfull in a 25 ounce J-frame!!

Doc Hudson

I carry 158 grain Federal HydraShok, generally in one of my Ruger KGP-141s (the four-inch, all stainless GP-100). It provides excellent -- far better than adequate -- velocity, expansion and penetration. In addition, it may also be superior to the several excellent 125 grain loads (Golden Sabers, Car-bons, HydraShok, etc.) for piercing heavy clothing. My only concern with this round is carry-through/over-penetration.

I'm partial to the Silvertip right now. I feel that I give up too much control in the medium frame revolvers by using the 125gr loads. The 'Tips also have a bit less flash and blast to deal with. From my gun's 3" tube, the 110gr loads are equivalent(ballistically) with the better 9mm loads.

To answer a question with a question, I picked up some 110 gr. Corbons and they shoot pretty well out of my 686+ 4", a little more accurate than the 125 gr Corbons for some reason. Does anyone know of any gelatin data on the 110 gr. Corbons?

I like Georgia Arms "DeerStoppers." A 158 grain Gold Dot at 1400-1500 fps (about the same velocity you will get with the 125 grain JHP). Should fit the bill both for the woods and for self-defence.

Hello. I like the 125 gr Remington Golden Sabers. I buy them from Collins Cartridge Company. A box of 50 for $13 and with Remington nickeled cases. This is new ammo. Cheap enough to practice with my defensive load. I do not know why Geogia Arms does not offer a .357 125 gr Gold dot round that is new ammo. Sling Shot

357 mag

Basically in a nut shell... any full power load out of a 357 cal magnum will stop just about any BG. If recoil is what you want, go with a heavy grain bullet. Good luck. Enjoy

The correct answer is the R-P 125g JHP load.

(For completely stoopid ammo suggest something custom........hmmmm.......let's see.......where could you possibly get that?)

Back