Seen the new style Berretta 92?

Spyderman

Over the last couple of weeks, I've seen (in print - not in person) a "new style" Berretta 92. It has a "flush-mounted" barrel that doesn't extend past the slide, and is offered in "Blackened Stainless Steel". It also comes with a handy-dandy aluminum "tactical" case. It is selling (as adverstised in Shotgun News) at about $550 NIB. What is this thing, and is it any good? It's actually marked "Stainless Steel" on the end of the slide, so it's not just a blued or painted finish. It sounds kinda nice, but I'm curious what other changes they've made (if any) and what purpose the "flush-mounted barrel" serves. Anybody else see or hear about this thing? Thanks again.
-Spyderman

MY friends dad has a Beretta 92FS Centurion (italian). It has an almost flush barrel on it. Maybe you saw the centurion model?

------------------

If a tree fell in the woods and no one was around to hear it... would a "new" Beretta still be called a "92"? ;).

Like others have said, it was probably a Cougar (been around for several years) or a 92 Centurion (off and on, around for about 20 years). The shorter (flush) barrel makes the gun more concealable, manageable and overall (IMHO) a much more capable shooter. The price of $550 NIB tells me it is probably a Cougar as a 92 Centurion is worth much, much more than that.

Spyderman,
Yeah, I've seen the ad in Gun List. The standard Beretta 92FS is one of my favorite pistol designs. I don't know what advantage the stainless steel would be in this gun. The regular "blued" pistol has a chrome chamber and bore and the teflon "Bruniton" finish is very rust resistant. I think the shorter barrel may be an attempt to reduce overall size. The standard 92F/M9 is large for a 9mm. I think I read that the Beretta 92 9mm/.40 "combo" gun came with a shorter barrel and slide which would not fit on a full size frame. I am not sure of this, however. I think that the Centurion barrel and slide will fit on a standard 92F, though, or vice versa. Sorry I couldn't be more help. The "Blackened Stainless Steel" does sound cool and I have to believe it would be VERY reliable, like 99.99% of all Beretta 92 pistols.

These are the new "elite team" series 92's and 96's. You can read about them at www.berettausa.com

They differ from the regular M92/96 in that they have a slightly shorter (flush) barrel, a cross-dovetailed front sight, a skeletonized hammer, and a "Brigadier" style slide. They also have front cocking serrations and a more pronounced radius on the backstrap (for a shorter trigger reach).

Walt Rauch wrote one up in COMBAT HANDGUNS a few issues ago. Ken Hackathorn also mentioned them in his AMERICAN HANDGUNNER column. To my taste, these would offer some advantages over the typical M92/96.

Rosco

[This message has been edited by Rosco Benson (edited December 28, 1999).]

While we're in the territory, I will go on record stating that I for one like a BIG handgun. The added weight abates recoil nicely and there is the asthetic value to a potential BG of a BIG ugly black weapon versus a dainty mouse gun in your grasp.

If I were on the streets as an LEO, I would prefer the BIGGEST black gun that was light enough to be carried on my hip day in and day out. Heck, if I patrolled in Watts, CA or New Orleans, a Desert Eagle .44 MAG might be ideal!

On a serious note, Beretta's as a general rule are not meant to be 200K+ IPSC race guns. They are designed to be carried alot and shot a little. Ernest Langdon is the exception but I bet he has plenty of spare parts on hand.

The design lends itself well to accuracy,reliability with multiple types of rounds and the large ejection port comes in handy if awkward shooting form becomes necessary.

I like the Beretta 92 Design but the limitations of the gun must be factored in. It's not a Glock that can be frozen, thawed out and dunked in the mud nor is it a custom 1911 capable of hundreds of thousands of rounds. The average Joe will be well served by a 92 and so will his Grandchildren.

------------------
"When guns are outlawed;I will be an outlaw."

Will, you're right. My grandson has had his eyes on my 92fs for a very, very long time. :) I've told him that he'll have to wait a little longer...

------------------
ff ...save the 2nd. No fate but what we make.

If the barrel didn't extend beyond the slide, you may have been looking at the new Boarder Marshal. Honestly, I like the looks with the longer barrel.

Ben

------------------
AOL IM: BenK911
ICQ # 53788523
"Gun Control Is Being Able To Hit Your Target"

I think this is a special run of 92s witha regular (non-brigadier) profile slide and a Centurion barrel. Interesting that the stainless slide is blackened similar to a SIG P229. Otherwise, if it has a lanyard loop, standard hammer it's probably just a wierd variation. Kinda like the two-tone stainless/blue guns that were available a few years ago. The latest change Beretta has made to the entire 92 line in general is a slightly radiused backstrap that just barely reduces the reach to the trigger.

For general info, there are a bunch of minor factory variations that can be had like a "short trigger", a take-down lever with no ridge, magazine bumpers, no lanyard loop mainspring cap and a skeleton hammer.

I personally really like the 92 and have a plain jane model that has fired untold cases of ammo and it just keeps plugging away. Very smooooooooth and accurate. Go ahead and order, CDNN is a reputable outfit.

Spyder, I saw the same add, Flush barrel and in black stainless. It's limited series, I don't know how many. Comes with the Beretta aluminized logo case. Didn't see one in person yet but will be looking.

------------------
Help Stamp Out Gun Ignorance.

I hope they shoot better than the Elite 92G I had. The thing shot about 8-10 inches low at 15 yds. Wondering if it was me, I passed it along to a friend with the same results. So when we qualified two different instructors had at it. The final verdict, it was all the weapon. Upon calling Beretta Law Enforcement sales, I was told that the gun was well within their specs. The spec was rounds fired falling into a Man-sized silhouette at 25 yds. When I questioned as to where exactly the rounds fall: ie the X or 9 ring, they said it had to only be inside the out line of the silhouette. When asked what they could do, they said not much as there was nothing wrong with the weapon. My response was simple, traded the piece of junk for a refurb Glock 17 and have never had a single problem. As for Beretta, I will never own another. They have no customer service.

Mike

One, You should have written the headman in Italy. From what I have read about this guy, he is seriously interested in getting and keeping it right. Has been know to send presents and personally check on your satisfaction.

One one of the pages of Beretta's website they show the "Package" you are talking about. It is a Beretta Cougar in .45ACP that comes with a few extras, number one of which is an aluminum hard case with their cougar head logo on the case.....

George, that one was called the Cat Pak, there was only 2000 of those issued and only
in .45 It was to comemorate Berettas entrance into the .45 market. It came with the pistol with Black grips with the Cougar emblem, the aluminum case with logo and a lapel pin.
I did see the one that Spyder is talking about and can't find the article that I read about it. Will keep looking for it

Back