Seekinng "Super Sniper" Scope Feedback

CIDGRAD87

Inactive
I really want a Leup Mk4 for my .308, but I won't be spending $1k on a weapon I already have anytime soon. O'm considering a Tasco (ouch, that hurt to say)

Seeking positive and negative feedback on this scope.

Thanks

(sorry about the typo in the thread title, but now I can't edit it.)

I own several (5) Tasco SS1042 and 1042M series scopes, along with 4 of the high end Leopold MkIV series.
This is going to hurt some feelings, but for the $300-400 you spend on the SS scope, you will not find a better deal anywhere.

I have (and this was witnessed by a board member), beaten the crap out of one of my SS1042's with a very heavy object while trying to open a jammed bolt(federal brass-long story). I was in the middle of a 300 yard group when this assault occurred, finished the group with no poi change, nice round tiny group.

Repeatability is excellent, optics are bright and crisp.
Despite many ill informed comments to the contrary, the mildot reticle is correct in measurement and function.

Drawbacks; The Leupold will give you 15 minutes more shooting time in the twilight hours; you really do get better glass for the extra $700.00.

Go ahead and buy the SS scope, you won't regret it.

I have a Leupold Mark 4 M1 which will probably go on my Remington. The present scope, a Phrobis 16x, will be set aside and await a bigger bore to sit atop.

Remember, it's the shooter which makes the difference. Recall in Henderson's Marine Sniper where Gunny Hatchcock was armed with a Win. M70 with a Unertl scope and almost got bagged by a NVA sniper who was armed with sniper version of the WW II Moisin Nagant rifle. Keep things in proportion. If you're rifle is $600-800, does it merit a $1k scope and $200 worth of rings and base? You decide.

Don't discount the Weaver V16 and V24 scopes either...

Bolting on a base isn't going to stiffen up your action any.

I use Weaver bases, and Leupold QRW rings on my varmint rifles. Make sure you lap the rings.

Back