Seeking a general consensus

Hi all, been think a lot about retiring my faithful h&r 922 and buying the gsg Firefly from sportsman's Warehouse.

Also at bi-mart(Pacific Northwest store) they have a sccy cpx2 for 199.99. they have it in teal and matte silver. My wife saw it and fell in love with it. But she has no idea as to what I'm planning on buying her for her birthday in December.

I'd like to know what is everyone's thoughts on these two pistols.

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

small pistols with heavy triggers are unpleasant and hard to shoot well.

i'd suggest a full size 9mm for a new shooter to learn to shoot, or even a decent 22LR pistol (ammo is way cheaper and recoil is almost zero).

cute and small is fine, once you have learned to shoot well.

Good and not so bad !!!

I'd like to know what is everyone's thoughts on these two pistols.

On the H&R; Very serviceable and fun to shoot.. … ;)

On the sccy cpx2, the price is just about right but you have to accepts it's limitations. Basically it's not a one size fits all item. They are for close range SD- Shooting. If you can try one out, take it to the range and see how you do. Other than that, they are great little guns that have a lot going for it. …. ;)

Be Safe !!!

My wife shoots my 40 just fine as did she enjoy my full house 45 acp loads. She had an eye for this gun for some time now. She loved my bersa thunder 380. I had a cheap Jimenez ja9 for a while that she enjoyed a lot. She wants to get her ccw with me.

"...heavy triggers..." Factory triggers are irrelevant. All of 'em need work.
The Firefly is supposedly the same thing as the discontinued SIG Mosquito. Supposedly requires high velocity ammo. That's not an issue though. You have to try a box of as many brands as you can anyway.
"...for $199.99..." Used or BNIB? Not that it really matters.
"...wife saw it and..." She try it on for size or just think it'd match her shoes? Other than what she's going to do with it, it has to fit her hand.

The Mosquito was the worst firearm I ever owned. If the Firefly is the same thing, it's junk.
Completely agree. Stay away.

The SCCY are decent small CCWs. I prefer the Kahr and KT PF9 to them, but none are target pistols and they can be a handful. My wife HATED shooting mine. She does however really like her Taurus 905 (9mm revolver). I'd never let anyone buy a compact or subcompact who has not shot one, or several, at the range to make sure it is compatible with them.

Take her to a gun shop and let her handle and dry fire many.
Otherwise the chance of getting it wrong is very high.

"...heavy triggers..." Factory triggers are irrelevant. All of 'em need work.
The Firefly is supposedly the same thing as the discontinued SIG Mosquito. Supposedly requires high velocity ammo. That's not an issue though. You have to try a box of as many brands as you can anyway.
"...for $199.99..." Used or BNIB? Not that it really matters.
"...wife saw it and..." She try it on for size or just think it'd match her shoes? Other than what she's going to do with it, it has to fit her hand.
She has held them at other stores. Her favorite color just happens to be teal. She say they are comfortable in her hands. Once I saw her reaction to the cpx2 in teal, knew she'd flat out cry when I bring it home. It's new in box . Bi mart doesn't sell used guns.

As for the teal one... if she likes it, why not? If it turns out she hates shooting it, you might like shooting it. If neither of you like it, you can get most of your money back trading it towards something else.

IIRC, it's a copy of one of the small Kel-Tec 9mm's, made by ex-employees or something like that. I had the Kel-Tec P11 or whatever it's called. The trigger was stiff, but it went bang every time. After I got the Glock 43 and 26, I traded the Kel-Tec. The Glocks have way better triggers.

For a similar pistol at a similar price point, I like my Taurus PT111 pretty well. The sights are very nice, and the mags seem like very good quality. The trigger is odd, but not stiff. I like it almost as much as my G26. It's a Taurus with a good reputation for reliability (contradiction in terms?), but the blued finish doesn't hold up well. That's why I paid a little extra and got mine in stainless. :)

On the questions.

I can't even imagine trading down from a wheel gun to a bottom feeder. Especially if you have the 6" 922 unless the sucker is jess flat wore out.

On the Teal. She likes it. Nuff said. Remember the number one rule; if you think you know better than your wife you are wrong!

Do yourself a favor and score major points at the same time. Get her what she wants. Even if she doesn't like the gun after shooting it, she will love you for getting it for her, it is the thought that counts.

If she likes the teal SCCY 9mm and it fit her hand well then its a no brainer, go ahead and get it for her. As for the GSG/copy of the SIG mosquito, I have one and am one of the lucky ones. Mine runs like a sewing machine and the big problem people had was not following the directions in the box. The gun likes hotter ammo and people get use to buying the cheapest ammo when it comes to 22LR and then get mad when there new gun does not run it. I would suggest stepping up to a Ruger 22, they have many types to choose from and I believe are worth the money. If your looking for a small DA/SA pistol the SR-22 is a nice one and is easy for children and women to rack the slide, we sold many and everyone who came back to use the range love the little gun. It not a full size gun like the GSG but has adjustable grips that can be swapped out. Good luck.

I'm not set on the gsg at all. This why I asked about it. Just looking around. My h&r is still in good shape just it old and o want it to last longer.

Back