Seeing impact thru scope

I am in the market for .223 target rifle that will allow me to see impact of round at 100 yds without a brake. Plan on using Vortex 6.5-20 × 44 scope set to 20 power. Is heavy contour barrel a must?

Look towards Savage 12 rifles and buy the heaviest one you can find. Probably the F/TR with it's nearly 13lb weight and 26" barrel will keep impacts in the scope. The other option is to put a brake or suppressor on your rifle and that'll keep impacts in the scope as well.

If you dont want a muzzle brake then you will have to add weight. Weight tames recoil and if you want to see impacts at 100 yards then you can not afford any movement.

As always I could be wrong.

Charlie/Bravo: I shoot a CZ 527 223 HD Barrel Varminter that I can see the impact at a hundred yards some of the time depending on what type of a rest I am using. And just how I am holding my rifle. Also I need to be shooting light bullets 52grs and under. Reloaded on the warm side. However I also shoot a CZ 527 17 REM HD Barreled Varminter that I can see my impacts at a 100yds almost 100% of the time. And I really enjoy being able to do that while shooting targets and Varmint Hunting as well. I can actually see my impacts on a Prairie Dog, Ground Hog, or Coyote way out passed a 100yds. Sometimes out passed 200yds+. I find myself shooting my CZ 17REM more all the time, and I like it more everytime I shoot that rifle. And there is no recoil with at all with my 17REM. I also shoot a Savage HD Barred 22-250 that I can do this with most of the time, but it is a Heavy Gun that I shoot off bipods all most all the time.
ken

I have some lightweight AR's and a Ruger American Compact in 223. I see bullet impacts with all of them. Most any rifle should meet your criteria.

Here's what I did for my .223 precision build. Weight....make it heavy. I nestled a 700 short action into a chassis and chose a heavy contour Benchmark barrel finished at 26". Then, a brake is a must.

DSCN0155.jpg

I load 80gr VLD's in Lapua brass with Varget powder and CCI BR4 primers. The glass is NF nxs 5.5-22x56. It is very easy to see the round into the target in as little as 300 yards. But the further out you go, the better it gets. I've shot this out to 875 yards with great success. In fact, I shot 2 five shot groups less than 3/4moa at 765 yards. It is so cool to watch the round almost full route to the target. At 100 yards, that's a stretch. Even with a brake and weight.

Weight, decent glass, heavy barrel, brake, and the right load. Can't beat the smile on my face every time I clang the metal out over 850 yards.

image.jpg

6.6" four shot group at 875 yards. (Sorry, the fifth shot missed :mad:)

Very nice looking weapon MT....... You say you can see instant of impact thru scope @ 300 yards but 100 yards is a stretch? Why is that? I am not looking for a build like yours but a factory gun. A CZ-527 varmint was mentioned in earlier post, they shoot well but I don' t care for the mauser action and they just don't feel right to me with that short action and only weigh about 7.5 lbs . I am leaning toward tikka varmint T3x. 20" threaded barrel. I really like the lighter tikkas but they would jump too much. Any thoughts on that?

hi charlie,,,i have an old,,,think i got it in the early 90s,,ruger VBZ 223,,,thing is about 10# i think,,,got a 8x leupold on it and its no problem watching bullet strike,,,watch many many ground hogs blow up through the scope,,,like i say it is heavy,,,stainless 24 or 26" barrel in a flat forearm laminated stock,,,but it will lay right there and let you watch the action,,,lol,,,so to speak

my .02

ocharry

A little off topic, but I saw the bullet impact on my brown bear out of a 7 1/4 lb 375 H&H with my Leupold 2-7x scope. For that you have to be close!

Charlie/Bravo at 100 yards, it gets there just too fast to see. But further out, much easier. Not only with recoil management, but the time lag too.

I'm not much of a factory guy, sorry. Custom builds are what I like. Sorry.

A varmint barreled 22-250 with a lead weighted stock allows me to see impact--IF shooting from a really solid rest and a use a very strong hold on the forearm. This shooting 53 gr V-max at 3680 fps. The gun weighs almost exactly 13 pounds with scope. I know the firm hold is taboo, but it is so much fun to see the sod poodles come apart at the seams. :D

Seeing the bullet strike is a matter of how much the rifle moves during recoil, and the field of view of your scope.

I have a Win Model 70 varmint in .22-250 with a 6-18x scope, weight is a bit over 12lbs. At 9x bullet impact is close to the center of the field of view as the rifle recoils. At 18x the same shot's impact is at the edge of the scope's field of view, due to recoil (and the narrower field of view at higher power).

I've got a 6lb .45-70 Ruger No.3, with a 2.5x scope on it. Shooting blackpowder speed loads, you can easily see the bullet impact through the scope. Shoot "Ruger only" loads, and the only thing you see through the scope during recoil is the sky! :D

It's a balancing act, and you need to find the balance point between rifle movement during recoil (determined mostly by bullet size & speed, and rifle weight) and scope field of view (determined by magnification setting) to do what you want it to do.

Back