Seeds in new flask?

GolfGuy

You would think that I wouldn't have to post every stupid question that pops into my head but I just got some new goodies from Dixie today and among them is Pedersoli Remington reproduction Flask and I noticed something inside, it sounded like powder.

So I poured some out and it looks like crushed up seeds or grain of some kind. I assume that is some kind of shipping/packing/manufacturing material. The strange thing is I can't seem to get it all out. I think I've shaken it all out and can't hear anymore inside. Then the next time I pick it up there's more shaking around inside and I pour that out too, then a few minutes later, more seeds come out again

This would be great if this was some kind of magic trick but I need to get all that stuff out before I fill with powder right? Has anyone ever experienced this? Or knows why that stuff is inside in the first place?

Okay, so seeds in a flask IS a common thing and he sounded as confused by it as I was. Thanks. The oil would explain why I keep hearing them after I've shaken them all out, they're probably stuck in the oil and come loose peridociaclly.

That does rais the question that the other post asked, but didn't get an answer for. Should I clean and dry out the inside of the flask before filling with powder? It does appear to be some oil inside, and still some seeds.

I think that I would clean it.

Fill it with hot soapy water half full and shake the “H”
out of it. Then take it apart and dry it all. Or just take
it apart and clean it that way.

The little brass screws are easy to lose.

Tinker2

Iintially I did start to take the little screws out and sort of buggered one, even with a gunsmith screw driver, so I changed my mind but I finally got them out with only minor buggering and the inside of the flask was disgusting, the inside was basically coated with those little ground up seed things, they were stuck in oil that was coating the inside.

Took your advice and shook it out with hot soapy water and all clean. I'm glad I didn't just fill it with powder, would've ended up with a caked on mess that I'm sure wouldn't have been good for the powder or the gun should some of that gunk have ended up in the chamber.

I'm learning not to take anything for granted when it comes to black powder guns and/or accessories, check everything!

Thanks Tinker! That was pretty much a no brainer but sometimes it just helps to bounce things off someone else before I tear into something.

so that's what those things are. I've shot 'em and it seems to make no difference over the chronograph.

Yeah, seeds, go figure :confused: . Being new to black powder I didn't know if that was some kind of traditional moisture absorbent or something and if I should leave it in there or pour it out. I couldn't figure out why the heck there would be oily seeds in a flask, and I still can't.

mec- Thats funny, it probably happens when the flask is getting low on powder eh, and you're gettin the 'bottom of the flask'. It might not make a difference but I would imagine that if a seed or two , or a clump of oil soaked powder finds its way into the chamber it would take up volume which could be filled with powder instead. Just a thought. I'm glad I got em outta mine anyway.

Many years ago, I read a muzzleloading rifle article. The author said he used grass seed between the patched ball and black powder, to protect the base of the patch. Claimed he could step out back, shoot his rifle and seed the lawn at the same time.
Dunno about that! :confused:
But he said that grass seed worked very well as an insulator between the base of the bullet and the burning gases, and was cheap to boot.
I dunno .. ya ask me .. the guy who put grass seed down his smokepole was full of Toro ... get it? Toro! Bull! Toro lawn mowers! MUHAHAHAHAHAHA! I CRACK MYSELF UP!:D

Back