See Any Albino Deer this Year?

hummelsander

We have at least 2 in our area and probably 4. We have mostly Black Tale deer around here so I'm assuming they are Albino Black Tail.

I haven't seen any in the field, but there is a whitetail museum on the way to the farm where I hunt that has some, 3 or 4 I think. They have a monster buck at that museum as well. You can see them from westbound I-94 when they are in the outdoor pens.

White with brownish spots

This deer was not albino but white with brownish spots. Rather small mulie doe. A hunting friend told me he too had seen one and that the Fish and Wildlife Dept. wants them out of there. They'll issue a special tag in addition to your regular tag. They are a mutation that they don't want spoiling the herds. I saw it in the Lake Wenatchee area of the Cascade Mountains.
dean

Fallow deer (cervus dama dama) a European species, are often white. They are common ranch critters in North
America. I am frequently visited by my neighbor's fallow deer.
white_fallow_deer.jpg

Down on the Gulf Coast there are places where some of the deer are the same cream color as those fallow deer. Its not pure white but looks close. I've seen several trophies but have never seen one in life.

Huck, why do people raise the fallow deer - meat? Doesn't look like that have enough coat to be worth raising for fur - or maybe that one is freshly sheared...

Albino deer - reminds me of the Far Side cartoon - two deer were talking to one another in the woods - one has a target painted on his chest - the other says "Bummer of a birthmark, Hal." Poor albinos shouldn't last too long during hunting season.

Last edited:
Back