• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Security Token Missing

GunsAreGood

I recently tried to post some pictures in a thread and got a message that a Security Token was missing. can any of the staff please tell me what this means and how to fix it. Thank you.

That usually means you are trying to access a URL that begins with "https" instead of "http". If so, drop the 's' and give it another try.

Thank you for the quick response. I was trying to add the pictures through a attachment so dropping the S is not the problem. Do you have any other ideas? I have never used the insert image to add pictures. If I wanted to use that would I have to start something like a Photobucket account and put the images from my computer onto the account and do it that way. Any input would be much appreciated.

Guns: can you describe exactly what you were doing when you got the error? I haven't been able to reproduce it so far.

Guns: can you describe exactly what you were doing when you got the error? I haven't been able to reproduce it so far.

Yes I was starting a new thread and wanted to insert some images so as usual I just used the attachment button. The pictures where just taken on a friends camera and put onto my computer. The pictures I was trying to post have never been posted before. Maybe it has something to do with the camera. So I tried to upload the pictures and it just says error DSCF2610.jpg Upload of file failed. I kept trying to upload with the same manage attachments box and after multiple attempts I received the Security Token Missing error. The weird thing is that I can post other images using the attachment button but not the images taken on a friends camera.

I have never used the INSERT IMAGE button. If I wanted to use that would I have to start something like a Photobucket account and put the images from my computer onto the account and post them though Photobucket. Any input would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Still not sure about the security token error... I mean it's a value that gets passed through various forms in vbulletin, that they introduced over a year ago, but I don't see why it would be broken.

The failed uploads, though... could it be the jpegs are too big?

could it be the jpegs are too big?
That is a easy solution that I seemed to overlook.:D If the image was to big would It give me a Security Token missing error message? I will fool around with it some more and see what I can do. Thanks for the help.

Well I just created a Photobucket account and put the images in a thread using the insert image button and it worked perfect. I am giving up on figuring it out. thank you for your input.

Nope, nothing about the image should be affecting whether you get a security token error.

I would guess that the security token thing is some weird issue related to your firewall or web browser or session time-out or broken session cookies.

You mentioned something about a separate error
it just says error DSCF2610.jpg Upload of file failed.
and I was guessing that that error might have something to do with exceeding file size limits.

I just got a security token error trying to reply to a thread...

attachment.php

Oddly, when I went back to the TFL main forum page I was showing as not logged in and I have it set to stay logged in and it has always worked....

Attachments

• tokenj.jpg
    tokenj.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 123
Oddly enough, I was also logged out when I tried to return to TFL about 20 minutes ago. I haven't had to login for months (maybe years) unless I have expressly logged out.

Twice? Could that be once for www.thefiringline.com and once for thefiringline.com? If it happens again, edit your post and note that it happened more than twice.

We should probably be redirecting one of those hostnames to the other to avoid having two sets of cookies. Who knows what kind of grief that's causing people. It might also even be responsible for this security token business.

I will look into the security token thing more closely. Won't be tonight though.

I too had to log in when I came back yesterday after seeing a notice about the software upgrade -- just assumed it was a cookie-reset thing related to the upgrade.

But I haven't seen anything about a security token, missing or otherwise... I feel a bit left out. :(

Vanya said:
But I haven't seen anything about a security token, missing or otherwise... I feel a bit left out.

You've probably got my missing token, that's why you're not having any trouble.... I'd really like it back, please.:D

Back