security systems alarms/cameras....

Nimitz87

watched a program on professional installed alarms and a security camera system...the later got my attention.

i have an alarm...which is my dog. and also an electronic alarm...

but what would you guys think of putting a camera at the front of the house and back...they had it hooked up to 1 tv that was black and white and switched to what ever camera was picking up movement...also had a recorder hooked up to it...the tv was in the master bedroom's closet...semmed like a good idea what do you guys think? anyone have this or thinking about it?...maybe a camera inside of the house to...for legal reasons.

You can get small camera's just for this purpose and you can find them cheap (not the ones that you see in the spam pop-ups :mad: ).

I've been thinking of the same thing but with infared capability, especially for the back.

Wayne

Forget the TV and recorder - use an old computer with a cheap USB camera or two and use software like this:

Gotcha' software

Waaayyy cheaper, works tons better, can set it & forget it for months yet you can go back and check any scene from any period of time quickly and at will. You can even call home with a modem and watch your place in real time, remotely.

I've been using this type of setup for three years now and it's never let me down.

Lots of other software packages out there that do this same function so check around...

nortronics that sounds real cool...alot better than my idea to...and i just happen to have a few spare computers around.... :D

Thanks

Chad

I have been looking on the 'net for the cameras that I was talking about. The ones that I was thinking of turned out not to be as inexpensive as I had originally thought.

I had gotten the idea from a friend of mine (co-worker) RV. This RV was outfitted with a "free" security watch system which had IR capability. The camera's were in the rear (for towing) and on both sides of the RV in the mirrors so you could switch between the three on a tv like screen in the dash of the RV.

I found out the price of the RV was $250,000 and the camera system was "thrown in" because it was that expensive.

By itself, the camera and monitor system would be around $1,500 (forgot to add, if you order it special for the RV so that is also discounted). Now, for some of the richer folks on the board, this would be pocket change, but for the rest of us, I realized that I had misspoken on the subject and therefore apologize for it.

Nortonics seems to have the better solution :).

Wayne

Last edited:
Back