Security Six Front Sight Help

Vulcannut

A couple of months ago I picked up a 1975 Stainless Security Six with a six inch barrel. Awesome piece. It shoots great but the front sight is all black and being 42 years old it not a dark black more like a dirty grey or something. I tried using sight tape it it looked great and worked for about 30 rounds of 38sp but as soon as I loaded 357 mag it was short lived and just fell apart. So I am thinking of some sight paint or something.

Looking for ideas something that will hold up. I know sight paint exists and others have used nail polish.

I know the later models came with a red insert in the front sight so I may start trolling on eBay to see if one comes up.

With the tape for those thirt rounds it helped quite abit. The gun shoots very nice and is really accurate.

If the front sight is blued, and the bluing is worn, why not just apply some cold blue with a cotton swab to darken it back up?

Bayou

I'd just try the nail polish it has worked pretty well for me. You could also use AlumaHydeII from Brownell's. It's an epoxy based paint that works very well and is really durable. It is around $15.00 a can. I've used it on a few guns. Just have to make sure surface is clean and you allow proper drying time.

I have an 1984 security six, and the insert was pretty dull, so I recently dabbed a bit of fluorescent orange nail polish on it...looks great. After the paint dries, spray a little matte clear coat on it and it will last a long time, just make sure you tape off anything you don't want the clear coat on.

Thanks everyone. I was thinking of trying nail polish but wouldn't of thought if reblueing the steal ( even though I have some cold blue paste) or clear coating. I think I will clean it real good, reblue it, use some bright red or orange nail polish, and hit it with some clear coat. Thing is will it be done by Friday as I was thinking of going back to the range again. On vacation so...... we will see.

If that doesn't work out then I will look into something like the AlumaHydeII.

I use Alice Chalmers​ tractor paint, holds on well and is almost blaze orange. Got a spray can of it at my local Ace hardware.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I use model airplane paint (Testors brand). I've tried both the neon orange and the bright white and I find that the white stands out better in low light. I may try neon yellow if I ever need to buy more.

A couple of months ago I picked up a 1975 Stainless Security Six with a six inch barrel. Awesome piece. It shoots great but the front sight is all black and being 42 years old it not a dark black more like a dirty grey or something. I tried using sight tape it it looked great and worked for about 30 rounds of 38sp but as soon as I loaded 357 mag it was short lived and just fell apart. So I am thinking of some sight paint or something.

Looking for ideas something that will hold up. I know sight paint exists and others have used nail polish.

I know the later models came with a red insert in the front sight so I may start trolling on eBay to see if one comes up.

With the tape for those thirt rounds it helped quite abit. The gun shoots very nice and is really accurate.

Having the same issue with mine. I'm going to try nail polish. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use model airplane paint (Testors brand). I've tried both the neon orange and the bright white and I find that the white stands out better in low light. I may try neon yellow if I ever need to buy more.

Do they make a glow in the dark paint? If so...you may try a normal color...then add a dot of glow. If you are experimenting anyway. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I reblued the sight, applied some nail polish, and a layer of nail polish clear coat. Came out ok. I figured I would try the nail polish route as if I didn't like it I could get it off easy.

Taking back to the range Friday so see how it goes then.

IMG_1445.jpg

Back