Security Industries .38 Special

autopsytech

I recently was given a Security Industries of America .38 Special revolver. From what I have read it's a model PSS, stainless steel 5 shot with a 2" bbl. These were mfr. in the mid 70's. My questions sre: Does anyone have anymore info on this gun, and would you trust using +P ammo in it? Thanks

I don't have any detailed nfo on this gun. A friend of mine had one (they were way ahead of their time as far as lightweight small framed revolvers). He only got about 200 rds of +P ammo thru it befire it developed severe end shake and timing problems.

If your gun is in good shape, I'd recommend very limitied use or even keeping as a safe queen if it's in like new condition. I doubt it will hold up to heavy use even with milder standard pressure 38 Spl loads.

Security Industries Of America- Little Ferry, New Jersey

Model PSS38 NIB= $188, EXC= $150, GD= $102

Caliber-.38 Special, 5-shot cylinder, 2" barrel, 6.5" overall
Weight-18 ozs, Fixed sights, stainless steel, Walnut grips.
Introduced in 1973, now discontinued.

Information from: Gun Trades Guide 25th edition

As I recall seeing one of these many years ago, I was kind'a on the fence
'bout purchasing one for my personal "test and evaluation". They were cheap
enough allright; but I always felt that the frame was cast aluminum. Maybe
not, but it sure seemed that way too me. I don't know anyone that ever
owned one; but if yours is in good shape, it just might be worth holding
on too~! Enjoy:D

I bought one back in 1979 (still have it), since I am from New Jersey it was
fun to have a firearms made in NJ. Massad Ayoob used to plug these in American Handgunner, basically a cheap copy of an S&W M-60. Some quality
control problems, for example in mine the rifling looks almost straight, doesn't
lock up that well. Mine is in drydock right now, the firing pin retaining ring
broke. More of a collectible than a shooter. The firm closed about 25 years ago.

My brother bought one in .38 right after they came out. He had run only a few rds of 158 gr LSWCHP+P when the cylinder let go and blew off the top strap. SI replaced it and he immediately traded it off.

Thanks for the replies. I was going to use it as a plinker and I got it as a "FREEBIE". I think i'll stick with regular loads. I know that it will never be as reliable or sturdy as my Security Six or my S&W model 19.

I know that this is an old thread but did any of you get the manual or parts list with it? If you did, I'd really like a photo copy of one or both.

Stick with 148gr LWC and you should be good to go ....
I had a RG 6 shot 38spl snubbie.. Got it on a trade .. Had $50.00 in it .. It had a frame size similar to Colt "D" frame ..., It was unfired when I got it ... Only thing I ran through it was 158gr LRN and rat shot ... Had it for about 5 years .. Sold it to a dealer for $100.00 ...

Your should be a good " knock around gun" but I'd never consider it for personal defense ..

Back