Security guard permit?

chris in va

Going through the Loomis application process right now. One of the guys mentioned I'll be receiving a security guard carry permit that's good in "all 50 states".

Anyone care to elaborate on what that entails? Is it only good on duty?

I think you will find it's not good in all 50 states any more than a pistol permit is.
If you were an LEO, that would be good but a Loomis guard is not an LEO

G License

here in Florida the only time we are allowed to wear our side arm is when we are ON THE CLOCK. PERIOD. We are not to wear them to and from work or when OFF DUTY ( OFF THE CLOCK ) This is state law. Better check before you wind up in HOT WATER. People I work with here for Loomis have worked out of state and there permits were honored in the state they were working in and If I understood things right Loomis had to make the arrangements with regards to the firearms.:cool:

better check it out

I think your getting advice from someone who wants to tell you what they want to believe not what they know to be the laws. It could get might expensive if you run amuck with your permit and some judge who thinks differently.

Last edited:
State laws governing the licensing of armed security personnel vary from state to state. In California, you need a "guard license" to be a security guard and a separate "armed guard" license to carry a firearm, exposed while on duty. Other states have different requirements.

As long as you have a state permit to be an armed security officer in the state in which you are working, that usually fufils the requirements. Since a company like Loomis may transport valuables across a state line, if you are expected to do this, ask for a letter from corporate counsel that explicitly says how you are covered to operate in another state. Chances are, you'll have to have a permit/license from the other state as well.

Back