security door

huntsman

Back when gun safes were just getting popular , I remember seeing adds for security doors that could make a closet or room secure , it was like a flexable pull down steel door. Anybody have one or can point me in the right dirrection ? Thanks

Unless your closet has cement walls, a steel door is just mental masterbation if it is installed on a typical light-duty-construction residential home. The only things between the outside of the closet and the inside of the closet is two pieces of sheetrock and a 2X4 about every 16 inches. It takes about 10 seconds to kick through the sheetrock and be into the closet. Get a real safe.

Blades67: Wonderboard (I believe thats the name) would easily change a closet into a secure area. Basically, its like sheet concrete, you have to predrill the nail holes because there is no way you could expect to hammer through it. Put one layer on the inside (its fire resistant too, IIRC), and another layer on the outside of the closet. This stuff is what they use in the high schools so that the kids cant destroy the place.

Kharn

there are many ways to reinforce a stud wall, I think the door is the big problem , as for safes I'm not sold on them (I own two cheapies) but I need more room and want immediate access to my guns and to display them.

You could also line the closet with steel plate, but by the time you're done reinforcing the closet you've spent more than if you'd just bought a quality safe.

This is a great line of thought. A nice "safe" might be tough but it will never be large enough to do the job for long.;)

Back