Securing Home Defense Shotgun. Ideas?

SteveW

Inactive
I want to keep a shotgun handy for home defense. While I keep pistols in a gun vault and handy, my wife is more comfortable w/ a long gun. Problem is I can't think of a way to secure a loaded shotgun in a way that makes it readily availible (like the gun vault w/ electronic lock). Friends tell me they have seen a wall-mounted quick release rack, but can't remember where.

Any help out there?

Steve

Maybe some specifics would help. Are there children in the house, or irresponsible adults?

I'm tall, and one way for me to secure a shotgun from casual misuse and handling would be to mount it inside a closet,at the top. Out of sight and short folks would not reach it w/o much effort.

Or, maybe a triggerlock.

A pump kept cruiser ready, action locked, chamber empty,safety on, mag full, requires several movements to fire. The cogniscenti can do it in a twinkling, but those who don't know have to puzzle it out at length.

Hope this helps...

If I recall correctly, you should be able to find the wall-mounted, Simplex-locked shotgun rack at the SM&A website, www.colt380.com.

I have an under-the-bed security cabinet that I bought at K-Mart (before Rosie O started her anti-gun antics, BTW) for about $70. It wouldn't stop a determined burglar, but it does seem to be strong enough to thwart children and intruders on a smash & grab mission.

I've also seen small vertical safes, some of which mount inside an interior wall between the studs.

Back