Securing Guns in Cars

Jeff Thomas

While this would generally apply to handguns, it is certainly also applicable to long guns. Personally, I am very concerned about leaving any of my guns in the cars. Here in Phoenix, AZ we have a pretty active stolen / vandalized car racket. And, besides not wanting to deal with the cost and insurance hassles, more importantly, I don't want to contribute to an underground gun market. Especially in the hands of young gang fools.

So, what to do? While my CCW permit covers most locations, the anti-self defense crowd does their best to reduce the number of places I can legally carry. (I'm sure they don't give a damn about this dilemma they've created.)

I've heard that handcuffing a gun to a seat frame is one solution. However, it seems much more logical to me to hide the gun as well as possible.

So, what do TFL members do? Generally pray? Live in better neighborhoods? Or are there some creative solutions out there?

Thanks.

What about using a bolt -in lockbox or bolting in a single handgun gunsafe? The kind of safe that has the handprint on top where you punch in the combination. I forget the brand names.

I am sure you will receive a lot of good suggestions about securing a weapon in a car. But let's take a step back and look at your car from a thief's viewpoint. If your car is in a lot with dozens of others, is there anything that would make a thief single it out? Has your car ever been stolen or vandalized? Why do you think it has/has not? Some of the same sort of things you avoid to keep from getting hassled by the police are the things you avoid to keep from getting robbed.

Examples: Gun bumper stickers; NRA sticker; gun magazines (ammo or reading) visible in car; type of car high on theft list; already broken window.

Avoidance is better than trouble; cops also are unhappy about stolen guns, legally carried or not.

Gun safes are fine, but should not be visible. If car is stolen the safe can be opened later, plus only takes a minute anyway to open most of those.

Whenever I have to leave my gun I disassemble it, take the slide/barrel/mag with me and leave the frame in the car under the seat, out of sight.

------------------
John/az

"Just because something is popular, does not make it right."

Gun security in a car is certainly a matter of concern. My brother lost his PPK to a thief who took it from his car in a hotel parking lot. I wish I could say that the thief had to go to a lot of trouble to steal that PPK. But the sad truth is that my brother left his car doors unlocked. Hopefully, he now realizes that there is no excuse for overlooking simple, ordinary, unsophisticated precautions--such as locking the car doors.

The matter of NRA stickers is among the many good points that Jim makes. I wish I could advertise my membership in the NRA as well as my state's rifle association. However, I have to leave my gun in the car all day while at work (firearms are legally banned in my office building), and I suspect that an NRA sticker would be tantamount to a "rob me" sign.

What has kept my gun from being stolen from my car over the years is, I believe, (1) simple precautions like always rolling up the windows, locking the doors, and parking in low-risk areas, (2) total concealment of the gun under an inconspicuous seat cushion, and (3) the odd fact that my car is such an ancient wreck that no one is likely to figure it contains anything worth stealing.

If you're worried about theft of the vehicle, it's real easy to add a switch into the wire to the starter solenoid. You can mount the switch in a wheel-well, for instance. Or under the dash--whatever.

Add a hasp and padlock to the trunk, if you worry about a quick break-and-enter, and you regularly store a gun there.

I've always figured that an older vehicle is less of a target, anyway. And, I know from a lot of experience that it's cheaper to repair a car than buy a new one--leaves more money for guns. (If we take care of cars like we take care of airplanes, we'd only buy a new car because "I want something different".)

I think there is very little excuse to leave a gun in a car for extended periods. Some towns, and locations are safer, but if you have the least bit of doubt about your car being stolen, do not leave your gun in it.
Yes, this means if you are going somewhere that guns can not be brought to, legal or not, then you should leave the gun at home. Yes, the anti-self defense types have an upper hand here, but it is irresponsible to risk losing a firearm to a criminal! We can not completely protect our guns from criminals, but a car is an easy way for them to get at them. I had a car broken into this past summer, and the only thing that was taken was a visible gun case. Much to the criminals surprise, I am sure, there was no gun in it, only a probe for measuring water flow. (I would have loved to seen that dudes face)
I'll can say is that it is best not to leaves guns unattended ina car, but if you must, then make sure there is no sign of it.

------------------
Live Free or Die

Last year about this time, I had a Colt .45 Officer's stolen out of my car, along with a radar detector. I foolishly left my radar det. on the dash.
To prevent this again, I use a Krypton (TM) cable wrapped around the seat assy, and covered with a towel or something. They'll have to take the seat out.
It's easy to do, and quick.
By the way, the Dallas Police found a perp with my pistol, and it is languishing in th property room. It has been over a year, and I want the gun, but until the case is disposed of, I won't get it back.
NEVER leave anything in view.

Larry AKA..Mule

------------------
Mule.....
Larry

Very Tough queston Jeff. IMHO If firearms are not permitted in a certain location then secure storage should be provided by the same location. Most local government buildings will gladly "check" your firearm for you in my area but they are not obliged to. I sometimes leave my PDW at the office if I'm going to an "unfriendly" destination but must folks don't have that option and I feel very naked going out underweight! We need ACCESS!
Hank

Thanks for all of your ideas - I really like the disassembly idea. I'm already a pretty low profile guy, except the vehicle itself in some ways. But, that is a given. And, I always lock the car, windows are up, and the alarm is set. I'm also a stickler for leaving nothing of worth in view.

A few years ago I did have a car stolen, and for awhile every car I owned had been vandalized. Moved out of that neighborhood - even though it looked fine.

However, in my experience, all of these steps only better your odds - they obviously don't ensure you won't have your car stolen or burglarized.

So, I think I'll use the disassemble approach along with a creative hiding place - locking would be the ultimate. I'll just need to spend some time closely examining the vehicle to see what will work. The only trick with this is if I have to pass through a metal detector - I'll bet I'd get some pretty weird looks / trouble if I had 1/2 of a gun in my pocket! ;)

Thanks.

a trigger lock may reduce the guns
usefulness and value if it is stolen,
plus make it less likely to be put
in criminal circulation.

also, the judge may take it into account.
;)

Driving an older car doesn't work. Three years ago my wife had a 12 year old Buick station wagon. Car was in good shape, but showed its age. Ordinarily these big old land yachts are at the very bottom of a car thiefs want list. So why did they steal it? To get the two new tires I had just put on. You never know what will make them pick your car.

As for bumper stickers, don't use them. Profesional burgalers have been know to spot cars with pro-gun bumper stickers, follow them home, make a note of the address, only to return later when you aren't home. :(

Back