Securing gun in car

mapsjanhere

Trying to make concealed carry more of a habit I realized that at least half my days involve trips to location that prohibit carry, from post office to school to anything selling liquor etc. Leaving the gun "hidden" in the car goes against anything I believe in in regards to safe gun handling, so I'm looking into secure ways to stow the gun. Locking the glove box keeps kids out but doesn't do anything to prevent a smash and grab. I'm thinking about a console vault, they claim to use 12 g steel that will put at least some damper on a thief.
Any better solutions?

I had not seen that one before.

I have a "GunVault" brand lockbox with quick-entry electronic code combination attached to the back-seat hardware where it sits on the floorboard behind the front passenger seat of my Sierra.

It is a good lock-box but is vulnerable to having all kinds of stuff fall on top of it which can inhibit access at critical times.

I think I'd have a difficult time thinking of a better solution than this Console Vault.

And be aware that you are breaking the law as soon as you drive onto the USPS parking lot with a firearm no matter where you place it in the car/truck.

Local and/or state "parking-lot exemption" laws do not apply.

W

I connected a piece of chain to a seat post and put a lock on it...put the lock thru the chain and and trigger guard...simple, cheap and they may be able to get it, but they will have to have tools and it will require time.

I have used a good pair of stainless steel handcuffs to secure pistols and revolvers to a seat frame or under the dash to a brake pedal.

I always keep a gun (Charter .44 Bulldog) unlocked in the center console of my car. If I have to drop in my CCW gun with it, fine. People who break into cars usually do so because they can see something they want. I leave nothing of value in plain sight. And although my vehicle has a built in alarm system, I also use a Club on my steering wheel. Car burglars who see the Club figure you probably have the rest of your act together and move on to another car. I haven't had anybody mess with my car, even when I've had to park it in dicey areas.

Not in my state. Even when I've been on jury duty and parking in the courthouse garage - no signs about securing firearms in the vehicle. And besides, how would anyone know what's in the center console? Everything from spare change to Kryptonite could be in there, and without X-ray vision...

I will guarantee that is a requirement on college campuses in your area.

AND, we should follow the law, whether anyone is checking on us or not.

GOOD GRIEF...gun owners should stand for something...we are supposed to be better than the thugs.

Securing gun in car.

I wouldn't want to reveal I might have a handgun by transfering it to the trunk, or something of enough value to transfer it there, from inside the car.
Consoles are the natural situation. Most don't have locks or of substantial construction however.
Some consoles have a compartment below a tray, again not secure.
As long as someone doesn't know or have seen a suggestion you might have a firearm stored these locations might be safe.
There is no such thing as avoiding breakins of the vehicle by not going to bad areas these days.
Bank Robbers robbed banks because that is where the money is.
Perps looking to rob parked cars go where the money is the malls and businesses we go to.
I use to ,at slack times, watch from the window of my stores these people pull up and go walking among vehicles looking for unlocked doors, packages on seats or other things.
You have a little money have a secure box built to slip in the console anchored by bolts to the vehicle.
A wire and lock mechanism, to fuse location, of door opening switch and when you leave vehicle it is locked and when you open it is is open. Of course as soon as you reach 5 10 or whatever speed the mfg has set it would lock. Put a seperate button to the switch on the console or under the seat. No one would thing of this as they are too lazy to read the forum.

I will guarantee that is a requirement on college campuses in your area.

AND, we should follow the law, whether anyone is checking on us or not.

GOOD GRIEF...gun owners should stand for something...we are supposed to be better than the thugs.

And you would be wrong. Even in Liberal CT, carry is perfectly legal on college campuses. It's good to know the law.

I agree. Gun owners should stand for something. Like maybe the second amendment and not getting pushed around by rule crazy do-gooders that have zero concept of the real world. All the idealism in the world won't save you if the thugs are armed, and you're not.

I'm pretty sure the founding Fathers broke a few of the King's laws.

Well DanTSX...it is not legal on all campuses...it is up to each college or university in Conn.

Seems like you need to know the law...also.

Some of y'all feel as though you are above it...

You do whatever you want...

I will abide by the law in my state and you go ahead and break the laws in yours.

Last edited:
Well DanTSX...it is not legal on all campuses...it is up to each college or university in Conn.

Seems like you need to know the law...also.

Some of y'all feel as though you are above it...

You do whatever you want...

I will abide by the law in my state and you go ahead and break the laws in yours.

And that would be their policy, not law. There is no law governing carrying guns on secondary education campuses.

It seems like you need to know the difference between the law and private property owners' stated policy.

Nobody is above the law. There is no pride in breaking them. Just pride in being within your rights.

Not as convenient as locking up in the console or under the seat, but that's where smash & grab thieves look. They are looking for a quick score and get out of there. When it happened to me many years ago, they grabbed a camcorder that my son left on a rear seat and got out quickly without grabbing my G17 that was under the drivers seat. This was at a shopping center on a Saturday afternoon parked at a Chili's. I know I was lucky not to lose my weapon and have never left it in a car again unsecured.

I'm sure that the console vault will be a deterrent. Much better than the typical cabled box that is only 18GA and the smallest of cables.

FAS1MustangTrunk.jpg

And be aware that you are breaking the law as soon as you drive onto the USPS parking lot with a firearm no matter where you place it in the car/truck.

What if the post office leases a building on a private commercial property that has a communal parking lot?
I can understand the building as federal property, and even the spaces in front, but does that make the entire lot federal property as well?

We adopted a burro from the BLM..
When you adapt, you have one year to prove your ability to take care of the animal, and during that time, the animal is still government property.
Good thing I didn't ride him with my gun strapped on, otherwise I would have been packing while on federal property!LOL
I wonder if that applies to wild mustangs as well??:confused:

Yeah, the worst part of CC for me is knowing I have to visit some crappy shop or mall or the post office that does not allow CC, forcing me to leave my pistol in the truck.
I've mainly been slipping my pistol into a pouch tucked deep under the driver's seat but I've considered purchasing a gun vault for the future although they do seem pretty pricey.
I do my absolute best to check my surroundings and use the door of the truck to shield me before I pull my IWB holster, but I know one of these days some loon is going to catch a glimpse of me unloading it to comply with these asinine laws and I'm going to be dealing with 5 cops questioning me. The politically blue section of Virginia sucks. I really need to move. :(

I keep it in out of sight in the glovebox or console if I have to leave it in a vehicle. Never been an issue and as long as it is out of sight and the doors are locked I've met my legal and moral obligations. If someone steals it under those conditions they are the criminal, not I. They could just as easily steal the vehicle and run over someone even if there were no gun in there. Either way I'd sleep well at night knowing I'd met my responsibility.

I'm all for gun owners being responsible, but at some point we need to understand who is the criminal and stop beating up ourselves for others criminal activity.

jmr40...despite what some think...in some states the gunowner has a legal responsibility to secure gun IN or TO the vehicle. Y'all can shirk that responsibility all you want...but that does not change that legal responsibility.

This tells a lot...one of the only gun forums that I have ever seen where members suggest that not abiding by the law, is appropriate.

Y'all can have this place.

Back