Secondary Weapon

Jeff Urso

Inactive
Hello all....I am new to this forum and I like it! I am considering a secondary weapon while on duty to wear on the ankle. I am considering the Kel-Tec P11. I like the size of the P32 but am apprehensive with such a small caliber. I would like some suggestions please. Thanks.

I use a S&W 642. 5-shot J-frame .357 magnum. If you are pulling your backup you are in a World of S**t, and in my admittedly non-expert opinion, the ability to reliably make large holes in your (likely) very nearby foe is of paramount importance. I like the fact that the 642 has nothing to snag and has a one-finger malfunction drill.

Mike

I would think twice about the ankle carry. One good foot chase is all it takes, I almost lost my 442 one night and did not even realize it. And that is from a Galco. Or worse yet, a fight and you are on the ground, leg available to all.
A couple options out there, a bit slower but more secure. Vest holsters, belly bands, pocket holsters.
If you are seated alot, ankle rigs are great. But if you are standing around, it looks real innocent with a hand in the pocket.

Been in plenty of foot chases, and my Galco never coughed up my 642. Just make sure the tension screw is set tight and that the velcro is on securely. I suppose it could wear out/wear loose...

I agree with the disadvantages of ankle carry, but there are disadvantages to EVERY mode of CCW. You have to figure out what you're trying to achieve. I know that if I'm pulling my backup I'm likely in a wrestling match, and I'm betting I'll be more likely to be able to get a free hand to my ankle than I will be able to fish it into my shirt and extract a vest gun.

No, I have not tested this theory in real life, thank God.

I'm aware that the thread is about secondary weapons, not method of carry for your secondary weapon, so I suppose I'll preface the following remarks by saying that I vote in favor of a 642. It's relatively light, though with enough weight on it so that 38+p doesn't smart that much.
In keeping with the fact that this thread is in the semiauto forum and not the revolver, then let me mention that there are the Glock 30s and the Kimber ultra carries. Still small and relatively light, with the added benefit of carrying more and of a larger caliber.
Regarding carry, I agree with Fed168; I keep my 642 in a pocket holster and it's a remarkably fast and unexpected draw if you happen already to have your hand in your pocket. If you're being mugged it's an easy thing to say that you're just reaching for your wallet (though there is the frequent argument that you should give up your wallet before you pull your weapon). You do, however,mention "duty", so I assume that concealed carry isn't your primary concern. There are fewer excuses to kneel down and draw from an ankle holster, though I remember reading about a police officer who was surprised, disarmed and was about to be shot when he asked, as his final wish, to pray. Laughingly, the BGs let him, whereupon he knelt, got his j-frame from his ankle holster and shot them both.

Coronch states that the 642 is a .357 magnum. Isn't it a .38? I see that the model 340 is a .357 magnum. Does anyone have any experience with the 340?

Feh. I just dug out my gun box and papers and discovered I've been carrying a 640. :rolleyes:

Oh well. Its STILL a 5-shot .357 magnum J-frame with enclosed hammer, and its still the ideal backup gun.

Hey, I was only 2 off. :D

Mike

IMNSHO highly recommend P32 as third gun (if you feel the need for big-hole second gun.

Not ever ever ever going to carry on ankle again (ever!), but not a bad place for third/fourth gun.

Guns guns EVERYWHERE!!! (I like it.)

The Kel-Tec P-11 is a good gun but it is not for everyone. It was designed for concealed carry (very light) and close range shooting. The trigger pull is very long, not necessarily very heavy, and some people just don't like it.

For more info. and discussion, go to http://www.ktog.org
That is the Kel-Tec owners group website. Lots of good info. and tips to improve KT pistols.

The Kahr MK-9 is a great 2nd weapon, it can be easily carried in the pocket.

I also carry a glock-33, a Keltec-p32, or a Taurus m85 on occasion, all are good pocket guns.

Jeff,

The P-11 is easy to have with you when you need it. Be prepared for a long trigger pull, though, and fairly stout recoil.

If you are willing to do a mild bit of gunsmithing (hell, I did, so I'm certain you can), you can make the trigger considerably easier to use with perhaps an hour or so's effort. Also, if you can ever adjust to the trigger, the P-11 is extremely intrinsically accurate with the right ammo; I have hit a 1" target with one shot at 8 yards, and have struck 2 liter bottles, offhand, at 25 yards and better. If you get a Kel-Tec, you may want to join KTOG, or at least, check out KTOG's site. Lots of good advice from people who know.

Back