Second Amendment Protection Act of 2008, Georgia HB 915

Shamalama

The "Second Amendment Protection Act of 2008", HB 915, was introduced by former police officer and current state Representative Timothy Bearden, at the Georgia state capitol in Atlanta today.

While Georgians may carry a pistol openly or concealed in a belt holster at their home or place of business without a license, the moment one steps into a car, the rules change, because a pistol in a belt holster is no longer open to the view of somebody on one side of the car, and is not, therefore “visible to all observers.” If passed, the Second Amendment Protection Act of 2008, HB 915, would make the law regarding carry in a car uniform with carrying in one’s home or place of business so that one is not automatically a criminal while driving between his home and place of business.

While current Georgia law states that a firearms license should be issued in 60 days, it is taking 4 to 6 months in many counties, and many people have waited for over a year. At least one person waited 2.5 years in Fulton County. These delays are unconscionable, especially considering that the General Assembly added instantaneous background checks to the system in 2006. Known as the NICS check, this is an electronic check of federal and state criminal, mental health, and other records, and it generally takes about 90 seconds to run. The Second Amendment Protection Act of 2008 would finally make the local Probate Courts follow the law and provide timely issuance of licenses and renewals.

The Second Amendment Protection Act of 2008 would remove the ability of the government to confiscate weapons from law abiding citizens during a time of emergency. The aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, when law enforcement and the National Guard seized weapons from citizens at gunpoint, demonstrated the necessity of this bill. Georgia has a history of forcibly disarming its citizens. During the Atlanta Race Riots of 1910, the Governor sent his own troops to disarm the blacks of Brownsville. A time of emergency (like Hurricane Katrina or during riots) is when a gun may be needed the most to protect yourself and your family. Georgia’s neighbors to the north and south, Tennessee and Florida, both unanimously passed similar bills. There was not a single “no” vote in either chamber in either state. Louisiana, where the problem arose, passed a similar bill. Even California recently passed a Katrina bill. Georgia needs the Second Amendment Protection Act of 2008 to protect the right of law-abiding to bear arms during times of declared emergency.

Members of GeorgiaCarry.org, along with other gun organizations, are busy emailing, telephoning, writing, and visiting our representatives. We're emailing and writing to local newspapers. We're on TV. We're trying to establish co-sponsors and get other legislators to climb aboard this legislation.

Georgia has much to be proud about concerning gun ownership. We were one of the first "shall issue states". We have Castle Doctrine laws.

But we have much to be ashamed about. The Georgia Constitution is not "bound" by the US Constitution, including the Second Amendment. The local Probate Courts are notorious about dragging their feet in issuing licenses. There are more places "off limits" to carrying than in California.

To many of us this is just as big Stand Your Ground and Shall Issue. We are taking this very seriously and we are working hard. I hope, one day soon, I will be able to announce that this bill has passed and been signed into law.

hb915rally.jpg

A great bill and it has my complete support as well.

I have written my politicians and made calls also.

My hope is that this forum as well as others assist our state with passing this common sense bill as it will only spur other states to do the same.

We all need common sense legislation like this to become law.

Back