Season's End

sc928porsche

Well, its time for me to put up the deer rifles for this year. Really had an enjoyable one. 11 year old daughter got a small buck and a doe. This was her first hunting season.

We started shooting together when she was 6. Pellet gun and then 22. 2 years ago I bought her a 22 of her own. Savage 64. Early last year I started her shooting a 25-06. It is the rifle that she used this season to hunt with.

I have treasured every weekend out with her. Such a joy to be around. Proud of her too. Both were taken with standing shots and through the boiler room. Both deer dropped and never got up, which is a good thing for me because I am not getting around as well as I used to.

For Christmas I gave her the rifle, amongst other things of course, because she likes it so well. So now she is the owner of my favorite custom rifle. I can't think of a better place for it to go.

I'm really looking forward to next year. In the meantime, I will start he on the 20 ga. so we can do a little wing shooting when the time comes.

The 25-06 is in my experience an excellent deer rifle. Ballistically, it and the .270 are so close that unless you want one to double duty as a varmint rifle, or one to double duty as an elk rifle;selection of one over the other is personal preference for white tail. Ammo availability favors the .270.

Yes once again it is so sad that the season is over. I am already looking forward to deer season 2013.

Sounds like you had a great season, with your daughter taking those deer. That alone is very enjoyable and makes one feel proud. We need all the young hunters that we can get.

Myself I must say it has been the best one in a few years. I have been due for good buck for about 4 years now. I took a pretty decent 10 point before Thanksgiving. On other different days I took 2 does and I shot a button head :( for a doe before Christmas. With all the deer I saw this year I could have easily tagged out with the muzzleloader, but I was horn hunting till about Thanksgiving. I let 2 different 6 points, a four point and several cow horn spikes pass on by, hoping they grow up to be big boys.

The other hunters on the lease took a 6, 7 and 8 point. They told me that I was supposed to take a 9 point to keep things in order. Two of them also took about 6 does.

Successful season here.

We had a dang good season here in Michigan. I took a 7 pt and a doe with my crossbow and a nice doe with my muzzlestuffer. The boy downed a "doezilla" with my old TC Black Diamond. My neighbor started slow but finished with a bang. He got a real real nice 8 pt on opening day of gun with the shotty. A horse of a doe with his TC Encore, and a nice doe with Ruger Old Army. My other good buddy got a 7 pt opening day of gun.....again using a shotgun. He mopped up a wounded spike someone else had made a bad shot on and 2 other does.

Freezers are full.

I've always liked the 25-06. I built the rifle in the early 70's from a Chilian Mauser. Yes, steps were taken to insure it would take the pressure.....mag fluxed, annealed, retempered after work completed on bolt and reciever. Spent a lot of time on the receiver getting axis square, threads and end square, bolt lugs and face square. Barrel is 28" Lilja. Stock is a thumbhole. Lots of extras on it...hinged floor plate, timeny trigger w/safety, Orbendorf follower, to name a few.

I used it mainly for coyotes and pronghorn. Took a couple of mule deer with it. Even took an elk with it one year. Excellent cartridge for deer. Low recoil, flat shooting, good downrange energy.

My main hunting rifle is a 300WM and has been for decades. I have a 22-250 built from a 98 mauser, so for hunting I still have all the bases covered.

I also do way too much shooting not to reload and my daughter has been helping me for a few years. It wont be long before she will be making her own.

When she is out and on her own, I will miss having that rifle around, but not as much as I will miss her.

Last edited:
Porsche, why are you giving up so soon? Doesn't AL deer season run through the end of this month?

Back